NHL News and Notes from Monday, August 31st, 2020
- The New York Rangers have announced they have hired Jaques Martin as new assistant coach on David Quinn’s coaching staff.
- The NHL announced that for the fifth consecutive week of Phase 4 that zero new positive cases for COVID-19. The League administered 2,814 tests amongst the Clubs’ 52 member travelling parties between August 23rd through 29th.
- Boston Bruins v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET Start Time
- In the Toronto hub the Lightning look to close out the Bruins and advance to the Conference Finals. After a scoreless second period Ondrej Palat would break the tie to give the Lightning the 1-0 lead, but later in the period David Pastrnak would score on the powerplay to tie the game back at one. Then in the third period Anthony Cirelli would score to retake the lead for Tampa, but in the final minutes of regulation David Krejci would score to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime. After going scoreless in the first overtime it would be Victor Hedman wristing a bullet to give the Lightning the 3-2 victory and advance to the Eastern Conference Finals.
- Shaggy’s TXHT Recap – Tampa Wins Double OT Thriller to Advance
- Dallas Stars v. Colorado Avalanche – 945p ET Start Time
- Out in Edmonton the Dallas Stars look to eliminate the Colorado Avalanche and advance to the Conference Finals, but in the first period Pierre-Edouard Bellemare would strike early to give the Avalanche the 1-0 lead. Then Andre Burakovsky, Nathan MacKinnon, Nazem Kadri, and Mikko Rantanen would score to give Colorado the commanding five goal lead. In the second period the Stars look to climb back into this one as Joe Pavelski would score to get Dallas on the board. Then late in the second while on the powerplay Miro Heiskanen would score to bring the Stars within three, but Burakovsky would net his second of the game to regain the four goal lead. Then in the third period Jamie Benn would score while on the powerplay, but it would not be enough as the Avalanche would hold on to win 6-3 and force a Game 6.
- Dallas v. Colorado Game 5 Recap – Avs 5 Goal First Buries Stars
- 7p ET – NY Islanders v. Philadelphia
- 945p ET – Vancouver v. Vegas