This week in the National Women’s Hockey League another 2020 draft pick has signed for the upcoming season, as well as the leading scorer in NWHL history.
3rd Overall Signs
- On Monday, May 4th the Buffalo Beauts signed the 3rd overall pick of the 2020 NWHL Draft goaltender Carly Jackson for the 2020-21 season.
- Jackson spent her college career at the University of Maine where she established new records in wins (45), goals against average (2.15), save percentage (.923%), and shutouts (12).
- Jackson was announced by Hockey Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine during the NWHL Draft.
The All Time Leading Scorer Returns
- On Tuesday, May 5th the Boston Pride re-signed the all time leading scorer in NWHL history as Jillian Dempsey returns for her sixth season.
- Dempsey led the League with 23 assists and 40 points as she captained the Pride to a 23-1-0 regular season.
- An NWHL Original, Dempsey has recorded 46 goals and 52 assists for 98 points in 91 career regular season games.
Whale Sign 2nd Round Pick of 2020 Draft
- On Wednesday the Connecticut Whale signed their 2nd Round Pick in the 2020 NWHL Draft defender Tori Howran.
- Howran, the seventh overall selection of the 2020 NWHL Draft, was the captain at the University of New Hampshire as she would be a standout defender, and would record two goals and 20 assists for 22 points in 27 games to rank second on the team in scoring.
Toronto Continues to Build
- On Thursday May 7th the new Toronto franchise signed their seventh player as forward Sarah-Eve Coutu-Godbout has signed for the 2020-21 NWHL season.
- Coutu-Godbout stated on the Quinnipiac team website that she planned to play in the NWHL, and that’s become a reality with her signing with the new Toronto franchise.
- During her Quinnipiac playing career Coutu-Godbout would lead the team with 16 goals, and her 26 points made her second on the team in scoring during the 2019-20 season.
Rivs Sign 4th Overall Pick
- Also on Thursday it was annoumced that the Metropolitan Riveters signed their 2020 first round pick defender Saroya Tinker for the 2020-21 season.
- Tinker is a smooth skating defender, and with Yale this past season would play in all 32 games where she would record a goal and 11 assists.
Pride Sign Trio
- On Friday May 8th the Boston Pride re-signed a trio of defenders in Mallory Souliotis, Lauren Kelly, and Jenna Rheault.
- Kelly, who is returning for her third season with the Pride, recorded two goals and 10 assists for 12 points in 23 games played.
- Souliotis ranked second amongst Pride defenders with two goals and 16 assists for 18 points in 22 games played. She would also have a plus/minus rating of +29 during the 2019-20 season.
- Rheault, the 25th overall pick in the 2018 NWHL Draft recorded a goal and five assists with a +14 rating in her rookie season with the Pride this past season.
TXHT will continue to provide NWHL coverage as more signings and news are announced.