Welcome to the TXHT NWHL Weekend Recap for the Weekend of Saturday, February 29th and Sunday, March 1st, 2020, plus news coming out of the weekend.
Saturday, February 29th, 2020
Game #1 – Buffalo Beauts v. Metropolitan Riveters
- At ProSkate the Riveters would host the Beauts for their final weekend series of the 2019-20 season, and in the first period it would be the Riveters with tallies from Brooke Baker and Jayne Lewis. Then in the second period the Beauts would respond with goals from Mikyla Grant-Mentis and Cassidy MacPherson to tie the game at two. However, in the third period the Riveters would get goals from Madison Packer, Leila Kilduff, and Kendall Cornine to give the Riveters the 5-2 victory.
Game #2 – Connecticut Whale v. Minnesota Whitecaps
- In Minnesota for their regular season finale with Connecticut, the Whitecaps would double up the Whale 6-3 to win the first game of their weekend series. Allie Thunstrom would net the hat trick, along with goals from Meaghan Pezon, Sam Donovan, and Jonna Curtis (who also had three assists) would lead the Whitecaps to the victory. Sarah Schwenzfeier, Shannon Doyle, and Elena Gualtieri would score for the Whale.
Sunday, March 1st, 2020
Game #1 – Connecticut Whale v. Minnesota Whitecaps
- In both team’s final regular season game for 2019-20 it would be the hometown Whitecaps getting the best of a very game Whale to sweep the weekend and regular season series. In the first period Meghan Lorence would score for the Whitecaps to take the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Sarah Schwenzfeier would score for the Whale, but goals from Nicole Schammel and Audra Richards would give the Whitecaps the 3-1 victory.
Game #2 – Buffalo Beauts v. Metropolitan Riveters
- Over at ProSkate the Riveters would end their weekend series and regular season with one final matchup against the Beauts. After a scoreless first period both Erin Gehen and Corinne Buie would score to give the Beauts the 2-0 lead. Then in the third period Kate Leary would strike for the Riveters, but Mikyla Grant-Mentis would score to regain the two goal lead for the Beauts, and secure the 3-1 victory to end the 2019-20 regular season on a winning note before their play in game on Friday with the Whale.
News and Notes
- The NWHL announced the Foundation Award Winners for the 2019-20 season.
- Lexi Bender (Boston Pride)
- Jordan Brickner (Connecticut Whale)
- Rebecca Morse (Metropolitan Riveters)
- Emma Ruggiero (Buffalo Beauts)
- Allie Thunstrom (Minnesota Whitecaps)
- The NWHL Fans’ Three Stars of the Season have been announced.
- Amanda Leveille (Minnesota Whitecaps)
- Marie-Jo Pelletier (Buffalo Beauts)
- Brooke Wolejko (Connecticut Whale)
Player of the Week
- Buffalo Beauts forward Mikyla Grant-Mentis would be named the VEDA Player of the Week after making her NWHL debut this past weekend. Grant-Mentis would net two goals and an assist to lead the Beauts to a 1-1 weekend as they face the Connecticut Whale this Friday to play into the Isobel Cup Playoffs.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NWHL.
*Photo of Mikyla Grant-Mentis by Kate Frese