Welcome to the TXHT NWHL Weekend Recap for the Weekend of Saturday, January 11th and Sunday, January 12th, 2020, plus news coming out of the weekend.
Saturday, January 11th, 2020
Game #1 – Connecticut Whale v. Metropolitan Riveters
- In the first game of the weekend the Metropolitan Riveters would play host to the Connecticut Whale, and in the first period Kendall Cornine would score to give the Riveters the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Sarah Schwenzfeier and Kendra Broad would score to take a 2-1 lead for the Whale. In the third period Cornine would score her second of the game, and Brooke Avery for the Riveters to take the one goal lead, but Hanna Beattie would strike to tie the game at three to send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Kendra Broad would score her second of the game to give the Whale their first victory of the season.
Game #2 – Buffalo Beauts v. Minnesota Whitecaps
- In Minnesota the Wildcaps would host the Buffalo Beauts for the first game of their weekend series. In the first period Audra Richards would score to give the Whitecaps the 1-0 lead. then in the second period Corinne Buie would tie the game at one for the Beauts, but Alli Thunstrom and Richards (second of the game) would score to take a two goal lead for the Whitecaps. Becki Bowering would score for the Beauts to bring them back within one before the end of the second period. Then in the third period the Whitecaps would explode for an five goal period as Meaghan Pezon, Nicole Schammel, Thunstrom (second of the game), Lisa Martinson, and Sydney Baldwin would score to give Minnesota the 8-2 victory.
Sunday, January 12th, 2020
Game #1 – Buffalo Beauts v. Minnesota Whitecaps
- In the second game of their weekend series, the Minnesota Whitecaps would take on the Buffalo Beauts in another dominating game. In the first period the Whitecaps would get a pair of goals from Jonna Curtis and Sydney Baldwin would score to take a 3-1 lead. Then in the second period Meghan Lorence, Audra Richards, and Meaghan Pezon would score to grow the Whitecaps lead to 6-1, and Nicole Schammel would score in the third period to give the Whitecaps the 7-1 victory. Ashley Birdsall would score the lone goal for the Beauts.
Game #2 – Connecticut Whale v. Boston Pride
- Coming off their first victory of the season the Connecticut Whale would face the undefeated Boston Pride for Denna Laing Day. In the first period the Whale would open up the scoring with an Elena Gualtieri tally, but the Pride would respond with goals by Jordan Juron and Lexie Laing to take the 2-1 lead. In the second period Kaleigh Fratkin would score to grow the Pride’s lead to two. Then in the third period Jillian Dempasey would grow the Pride’s lead to three, but while Emma Vlasic would score later for the Whale, it would be too little, too late as the Pride would defeat the Whale 4-2 in front of a sold out Boston crowd to go a perfect 18-0-0.
News and Notes
Player of the Week
- Kendra Broad of the Connecticut Whale has been named the VEDA Player of the Week after scoring her first career goal in the second period, and then the overtime game winner on Saturday to give the Whale their first win of the 2019-20 season.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NWHL.
*Photo of Kendra Broad by Bryan Johnson.