Welcome to the TXHT NWHL Weekend Recap for the Weekend of Saturday, January 4th and Sunday, January 5th, 2019, plus news coming out of the weekend.
Saturday, January 4th, 2019
Game #1 – Minnesota Whitecaps v. Metropolitan Riveters
- In a tightly contested matchup to start the weekend, the Riveters would play host to the Whitecaps and in the first period Meaghan Pezon would open the scoring for the Whitecaps to take the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Sydney Baldwin would score to secure the 2-0 victory for the Whitecaps. Amanda Leveille would stop all 27 shots she would face for the shutout, and Riveters netminder Sam Walther would stop 32 of 34 shots faced.
Game #2 – Boston Pride v. Buffalo Beauts
- In Buffalo the Beauts would play host to the Pride, and just like any other game it was all Boston. In the first period Lexie Laing would strike on the powerplay, and Lauren Kelly would score to give the Pride the 2-0 lead. In the second period Erin Gehen would score to get the Beauts on the board, but Tori Sullivan would strike to reclaim Boston’s two goal lead. In the third period Marie-Jo Pelletier would strike on the powerplay for the Beauts, but goals from Jillian Dempsey and Lexi Bender (PPG) would secure the 5-2 victory for Boston.
Sunday, January 5th, 2019
Game #1 – Boston Pride v. Buffalo Beauts
- In the second game of their weekend series, the Beauts would hop to an early two goal lead thanks to goals from Erin Gehen and Marie-Jo Pelletier (PP), but the Pride would score seven unanswered goals to take the victory. Tori Sullivan would score a pair of goals for the Pride, and Lauren Kelly, Carlee Toews, Emily Fluke, Briana Mastel, and Mallory Souliotis would all score to give the Pride the 7-2 win, and go a perfect 17-0-0 to start the season creating a new NWHL record.
Game #2 – Minnesota Whitecaps v. Metropolitan Riveters
- In the final game of the weekend, the Riveters and Whitecaps would finish up their weekend series with Riveters goalie Same Walther making 60 saves to lead the Riveters to their third win in their last five games. After a scoreless first period Meghan Lorence would score to get the Whitecaps on the board first, but Kate Leary would score to tie the game up at one. Then in the third period Colleen Murphy would score her first career NWHL goal, and Madison Packer would get the empty netter to secure the 3-1 victory for the Riveters.
News and Notes
- Heading into the weekend Jordan Juron signed a PTO with the Boston Pride for the weekend. Juron formerly played for the Buffalo Beauts the previous two seasons.
Player of the Week
- The NWHL has announced that goaltenders Amanda Leveille (Whitecaps) and Sam Walther (Riveters have been named the Co-Players of the Week. Leveille would post a 34 save shutout of the Riveters to give the Whitecaps the 2-0 victory on Saturday, Jan. 4th. Then on Sunday, January 5th Walther would record a career best 60 saves to guide the Riveters to a 3-1 victory over the Whitecaps.
* All Graphics Courtesy of the NWHL.