NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, May 3rd, 2023
- The Minnesota Whitecaps announced a pair signings.
- The Whitecaps announced that they have re-signed both forward Brittyn Fleming and defender Olivia Knowles to two year deals.
- Additional terms of both deals were not disclosed.
- The NHL announced the finalists for the Calder Trophy.
- New Jersey Devils v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET – Game 1
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would open up the second round at home against the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Brett Pesce and Seth Jarvis would score to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. In the second period Jesperi Kotkaniemi would score to grow the Canes to three, but Nathan Bastian would score to get the Devils on the board and back within one. Then in the third period Brady Skjei and Jesper Fast would score to give the Hurricanes the 5-1 victory to take Game 1 over the Devils.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Canes Dominate Devils to Take Game 1
- Edmonton Oilers v. Vegas Golden Knights – 930p ET – Game 1
- In Vegas the Golden Knights would play host to the Edmonton Oilers for Game 1 of their second round series matchup, and in the first period Leon Draisaitl would score a pair of goals for the Oilers, but goals from Ivan Barbashev, Michael Amadio, and Mark Stone would give the Knights the 3-2 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Draisaitl would record two more goals to give him a four goal nihgt, but Barbashev’s second of the game, plus goals from Chandler Stephenson and Jack Eichel would give the Golden Knights the 6-4 victory over the Oilers for the 1-0 series lead.
- FLA v. TOR – 7p ET – Game 2
- SEA v. DAL – 930p ET – Game 2
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Sergei Bobrovsky’s humility might be the driving force behind his playoff success (The Athletic – $)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Kraken 5-4 Pavelski (SportsNet)
- Maple Leafs trolls? Or anti-heroes? Meet the fans who wear the visiting team’s jersey at every home game (Toronto Star)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.