NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, May 2nd, 2023
- The Minnesota Wild announced that they have re-signed forward Marcus Johansson.
- Johansson would sign a two year deal worth $ million, and carries an AAV of $2 million per season.
- The Washington Capitals announced that they have re-signed defenseman Alex Alexeyev.
- Alexeyev would sign a two year deal worth $1.65 million.
- The NHL announced the finalists for the Lady Byng and Selke Awards.
- Florida Panthers v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET – Game 1
- In Toronto the second round would officially begin as the Maple Leafs would play host to the Florida Panthers, and in the first period Nick Cousins would open the scoring for the Panthers to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Sam Bennett would score to grow the Panthers lead to two, but goals from Matthew Knies and Michael Bunting would tie the game at two for the Leafs. However, before the period would end Carter Verhaeghe would strike to regain the lead for the Panthers. Then in the third period Brandon Montour would score to give the Panthers the 4-2 victory to take Game 1 over the Maple Leafs.
- Seattle Kraken v. Dallas Stars – 930p ET – Game 1
- In Dallas the Stars would play host to the feisty Seattle Kraken for Game 1 of their second round matchup, and in the first period, and in the first period Joe Pavelski would score a pair of goals for the Stars, but goals from Jaden Schwartz, Justin Schultz, Oliver Bjorkstrand, and Jordan Eberle would give the Kraken the 4-2 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Pavelski would score two more goals to give him a four goal game and also tie the game at four for the Stars to force overtime. In the extra frame Yanni Gourde would call game as he would net the game winner as the Kraken would take Game 1 over the Stars 5-4.
- NJ v. CAR – 7p ET – Game 1
- EDM v. VGK – 930p ET – Game 1
Noteworthy in Hockey
- NHL Daily – Second Round Preview Bonus (TXHT)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.