NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, April 19th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have suspended Toronto Maple Leafs forward Michael Bunting.
- Bunting would be suspended three games for an illegal check to the head and interference against Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Erik Cernak during Game 1 in Toronto on Tuesday night.
- Bunting will be eligible to return for the Leafs in Game 5.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets announced that forward Alexandre Texier will return to the club for the 2023-24 season.
- Texier spent the 2022-23 campaign with the ZSC Lions in Switzerland’s National League.
- The Jackets also announced that the second year of Texier’s two-year contract, which was signed on July 28, 2021, will toll to cover the 2023-24 season.
- The PHF announced that Boston Pride goaltender Corinne Schroeder has been named the 2023 PHF Goaltender of the Year.
- New York Islanders v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET – Game 2
- Back in Carolina for Game 2 the New York Islanders would look to bounce back to even the series against the Hurricanes, and in the first period Paul Stastny would deflect a Jaccob Slavin shot to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. In the second period Stefan Noesen would score to grow the Canes lead to two, but goals from Kyle Palmieri and Mathew Barzal would tie the game at two for the Isles. Then in the third period Brock Nelson would net his first of the playoffs to give the Isles the 3-2 lead, but Jaccob Slavin would strike to tie the game at three and force overtime for the Canes. In the extra frame it would be Jesper Fast strike off a Jordan Staal pass to give the Hurricanes the 4-3 overtime victory over the Islanders to take the 2-0 series lead.
- Florida Panthers v. Boston Bruins – 730p ET – Game 2
- In Game 2 the Boston Bruins would play host to the Florida Panthers, and after a scoreless first period Sam Bennett and Eric Staal would score for the Panthers while Brad Marchand and Tyler Bertuzzi would score for the B’s for the 2-2 tie. Then in the third period Taylor Hall would score for the B’s, but Brandon Montour would net a pair of goals and Carter Verhaeghe and Eetu Luostarinen would score to give the Panthers the 6-3 victory over the Bruins to even up the series at one.
- Minnesota Wild v. Dallas Stars – 930p ET – Game 2
- In Dallas the Stars would look to take Game 2 against the visiting Minnesota Wild, and in the first period Roope Hintz would strike shorthanded and Tyler Seguin would strike on the powerplay to give the Stars the 2-0 lead, but Oskar Sundqvist would score to get the Wild on the board an back within one. In the second period Marcus Johansson and Frederick Gaudreau would score for the Wild, but Jamie Benn would score, Evgenii Dadonov would score a pair of goals and Hintz would net his second of the game to give the Stars the 6-3 lead. Then in the third period Hintz would complete the hat trick to give the Stars the 7-3 victory over the Wild to even the series at one game a piece.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET – Game 2
- In Edmonton the Oilers would look to even their series against the Los Angeles Kings, and in the first period Derek Ryan and Leon Draisaitl would score to give the Oilers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Phillip Danault and Gabriel Vilardi would score to tie the game at two for the Kings. Then in the third period Klim Kostin and Evander Kane would score to give the Oilers the 4-2 victory over the Kings and even their series at one.
- TB v. TOR – 7p ET – Game 2
- NYR v. NJ – 730p ET – Game 2
- SEA v. COL – 930p ET – Game 2
- WIN v. VGK – 10p ET – Game 2
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 2013 Blackhawks disappointed in team’s lack of a 10-year anniversary celebration (The Athletic – $)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: What Now Toronto? (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.