NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, April 18th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that Toronto Maple Leafs forward Michael Bunting will have a hearing on Wednesday.
- The hearing will be for an illegal check to the head/interference against Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Erik Cernak during Game 1 on Tuesday night.
- New York Rangers v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET – Game 1
- In New Jersey for Game One of the Hudson River Rivalry the Devils would play host to the New York Rangers, and in the first period Vladimir Tarasenko would open up the scoring for the Rangers while Chris Kreider would deflect in his first of the playoffs while on the powerplay to give the Rangers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Ryan Lindgren would strike to grow the Rangers lead to three. Then in the third period Jack Hughes would net his first career playoff goal with a penalty shot tally, but Kreider’s second powerplay goal of the game and an empty netter from Filip Chytil would give the Rangers the 5-1 victory over the Devils.
- Scott’s TXHT Game Recap – Rangers Dominate Devils in Game 1
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 730p ET – Game 1
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would look for revenge as they take on the Tampa Bay Lightning for the second straight year in a row in the first round, and in the first period the Bolts would get goals from Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Anthony Cirelli, and Nikita Kucherov to take the commanding 3-0 lead. In the second period Ryan O’Reilly and William Nylander would both score on the powerplay to get the Leafs back within one, but Brayden Point would net a pair of goals and Corey Perry would strike to give the Bolts the 6-2 lead. Then in the third period Calle Jarnkrok would score for the Leafs, but Ross Golton’s tally would give the Lightning the 7-3 victory over the Maple Leafs to take game one.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Vegas Golden Knights – 930p ET – Game 1
- In Vegas the Golden Knights would play host to the Winnipeg Jets for Game 1 of their first round series, and after a scoreless first period Kyle Connor and Pierre-Luc Dubois would score to give the Jets the 2-0 lead, but William Karlsson would strike to get the Knights back within one. Then in the third period Blake Wheeler would score and Adam Lowry would net a pair of goals to give the Jets the 5-1 victory over the Golden Knights to take game one of the series.
- Seattle Kraken v. Colorado Avalanche – 10p ET – Game 1
- In Colorado the Seattle Kraken would make their Stanley Cup Playoffs debut as they visit the defending Stanley Cup champion Avalanche, and in the first period Eeli Tolvanen would score the first playoff goal in Kraken history to give them the 1-0 lead, but Mikko Rantanen would strike to tie the game at one for the Avs. In the second period Alex Wennberg would strike to give the Kraken the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Morgan Geekie would score to give the Kraken their first playoff win in franchise history with a 3-1 victory over the Avalanche to take the 1-0 series lead.
- NYI v. CAR – 7p ET – Game 2
- FLA v. BOS – 730p ET – Game 2
- MIN v. DAL – 930p ET – Game 2
- LA v. EDM – 10p ET – Game 2
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Playoff Preview: Hudson River Rivalry Continues (TXHT)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.