NHL News and Notes from Monday, April 17th, 2023
- The Calgary Flames have announced that they have mutually agreed to part ways with General Manager Brad Treliving.
- Don Maloney was also promoted to President of Hockey Operations, and will serve as the Interim General Manager.
- The Washington Capitals announced that Blaine Forsythe and Kevin McCarthy will not return to the coaching staff.
- Washington also announced that Assistant Coach Scott Allen, Goaltending Coach Scott Murray, Assistant Coach/Video Brett Leonhardt, and video coordinator Emily Engel-Natzke will return for the 2023-24 season
- New York Islanders v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET – Game 1
- In Raleigh, the Hurricanes host the Islanders in a First Round matchup and in the first Sebastian Aho scores his first of the postseason to put Carolina up 1-0. In the second, Stefan Noesen’s first of the postseason gives the Canes the 2-0 lead but then Ryan Pulock nets his first of the playoffs to get the Islanders on the board. After a scoreless third, the Hurricanes go on to get the 2-1 win over the Islanders and take the 1-0 series lead.
- Florida Panthers v. Boston Bruins – 730p ET – Game 1
- In Boston, the Bruins welcome the Panthers to start the First Round series and in the first David Pastrnak scores his first goal of the postseason to put Boston up 1-0. In the second, the B’s take the 2-0 lead with Brad Marchand’s first goal of the postseason but then Matthew Tkachuk’s first of the playoffs gets the Panthers ono the board. Jake DeBrusk then goes on to score his first of the of postseason as the Bruins jump out to the 3-1 lead. After a scoreless third, the Bruins go on to take the 1-0 series lead after defeating the Panthers 3-1.
- Minnesota Wild v. Dallas Stars – 930p ET – Game 1
- In Dallas, Stars welcome the Wild in a First Round matchup and in the first Minnesota takes the 1-0 lead with Kirill Kaprizov’s first of the postseason. In the second, Dallas gets a pair when Roope Hintz and Jason Robertson each score to give the Stars the 2-1 lead but then a goal by Sam Steel evens the score for Minnesota. In double overtime, Ryan Hartman scores the game winner as the Wild get the 4-3 win over the Stars and steal home-ice advantage to take the 1-0 series lead.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET – Game 1
- In Edmonton, the Oilers and Kings face off in a First Round matchup and in the first Leon Draisaitl and Evan Bouchard each score as Edmonton takes the 2-0 lead. In the third, Adrian Kempe scores his first for Los Angeles but then Leon Draisaitl responds with his second of the night to put Edmonton back up two. Adrian Kempe goes on to score his second of the period to bring the Kings within a goal once more and then Anze Kopitar evens the score late in the period. In overtime, Alex Iafallo scores the game winner as the Kings take home-ice advantage with the 4-3 win over the Oilers.
- NYR v. NJ – 7p ET – Game 1
- TB v. TOR – 730p ET – Game 1
- WIN v. VGK – 930p ET – Game 1
- SEA v. COL – 10p ET – Game 1
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Capitals Wrap: Injury Reveals, Contract Talks For Brown, Wilson & More, Backstrom & GMBM Not On Same Page (The Hockey News)
- Backstrom Optimistic About Hip & Future With Capitals, But MacLellan Not Entirely Sold Yet: ‘How Much Better Does It Get?’ (The Hockey News)
- Treliving ‘betting on himself’ following mutual split with Flames (TSN)
- Mantha Opens Up About Struggles, Scratches, Confidence & Future With Capitals: ‘Just Myself To Blame’ (The Hockey News)
- 32 Thoughts: Why Brad Treliving and the Flames agreed to ‘part ways’ (Sportsnet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.