NHL News and Notes from Monday, March 20th, 2023
- The NHL announced that New York Rangers forward Mika Zibanejad has been named First Star of the Week.
- Cale Makar (COL and Jeremy Swayman (BOS) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Zibanejad Earns First Star Honors
- Ottawa Senators v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In the Steel City, the Penguins welcome the Senators back to Pittsburgh and in the first Thomas Chabot scores his 10th to put Ottawa up 1-0. After a scoreless second, Rickard Rakell’s 25th of the year ties the game for Pittsburgh but then Drake Batherson’s 21st of the year gives the Senators the 2-1 win over the Penguins.
- Florida Panthers v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Hockeytown, the Red Wings welcome the Panthers back to Detroit and in the first, Florida gets a pair when Matthew Tkachuk and Carter Verhaeghe score but then Detroit gets on the board when Pius Suter gets his 13th. In the second, Florida re-takes the two goal lead when Gustav Forsling nets his 10th. In the third, Dylan Larkin nets his 26th to bring Detroit within a goal but then Florida gets a pair when Eric Staal gets his 13th and Carter Verhaeghe gets his second of the night as the Panthers get the 5-2 win over the Red Wings.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In the Mile High City, the Avalanche welcome the Blackhawks back to Denver and in the first, the Avs take the 1-0 lead when Kurtis MacDermid nets his first of the year. In the second, Colorado gets a pair when Denis Malgin and Mikko Rantanen score to take the 3-0 lead. In the third, Logan O’Connor gets his eighth and then Dennis Malgin gets his second of the game as the Avalanche breeze by the Blackhawks for the 5-0 shutout win.
- San Jose Sharks v. Edmonton Oilers – 930p ET
- In Edmonton, the Oilers host the Sharks in a divisional match-up and in the first the Sharks take the 1-0 lead when Alexander Barabanov nets his 15th but then Edmonton ties it up when Nick Bjugstad scores his 16th of the year. In the second, Kailer Yamamoto’s 10th puts the Oilers up 2-1 but then the Sharks gets a pair when Steven Lorentz and Erik Karlsson score to go up 3-2. Edmonton then ties it up when Mattias Ekholm gets his seventh but then Karlsson scores his second of the night to put the Sharks back up a goal. In the third, Ekholm also scores his second of the night as the Oilers tie it up 4-4. In overtime, Darnell Nurse’s eighth of the year gives the Oilers the 5-4 win over the Sharks.
- Calgary Flames v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In Hollywood, the Kings play host to the Flames in a divisional match-up and in the first the Kings get four goals when Carl Grundstrom, Drew Doughty, Gabriel Vilardi, and Viktor Arvidsson all score. In the second, the Flames get on the board when Tyler Toffoli gets his 29th but then Adrian Kempe gets a pair to put the Kings up 6-1. In the third, Noah Hanifin’s sixth cuts the L.A. lead to four but then Mikey Anderson gets his fifth and then Carl Grundstrom gets his second of the night
- CAR v. NYR – 7p ET
- CLB v. WAS – 7p ET
- FLA v. PHI – 7p ET
- MIN v. NJ – 7p ET
- NAS v. BUF – 7p ET
- OTT v. BOS – 7p ET
- TB v. MON – 7p ET
- TOR v. NYI – 730p ET
- ARI v. WIN – 8p ET
- DET v. STL – 8p ET
- SEA v. DAL – 830p ET
- CAL v. ANA – 10p ET
- VGK v. VAN – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Fuhr enjoys TV, radio analyst role for Kraken AHL team (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Our Lone Star Itinerary (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.