NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 16th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have suspended St. Louis Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington.
- Binnington was suspended for two games for roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct against Minnesota Wild forward Ryan Hartman on Wednesday night.
- Per the terms of the CBA, and based on Binnington’s average annual salary, he would forfeit $64,864.86.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa, the Senators welcome the Avalanche to town and in the first, Colorado gets a pair of goals when Cale Makar and Valeri Nichushkin score. Then, Ottawa gets on the board when Drake Batherson nets his 20th of the year. In the second, the Avs go back up by two when Mikko Rantanen scores but then the Sens respond when Shane Pinto strikes with his 18th of the year. Then, Colorado gets a pair when Evan Rodrigues and Lars Eller score to take the 5-2 lead. In the third, Ottawa gets a pair when Travis Hamonic and Brady Tkachuk score but that is not enough as the Avalanche squeak by with the 5-4 win over the Senators.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In South Florida, the Panthers welcome the Canadiens to town. In the first, Montreal gets on the board when Mike Matheson scores but then Florida gets a pair when Colin White and Carter Verhaeghe score. Montreal then ties it up when Anthony Richard scores but the Panthers take the lead back when Gustav Forsling scores. Michael Pezzetta the ties the game for the Habs once again but then the Panthers respond with a four goal onslaught from Aaron Ekblad, Ryan Lomberg, Sam Reinhart, and Carter Verhaeghe, getting his second of the night, and putting the Cats up 7-3. In the second, Rafael Harvey Pinard scores to make it a 7-4 Florida lead but then the Panthers respond when Aaron Ekblad gets his second of the night and Matthew Tkachuk joins the scoresheet to put Florida up 9-4. In the third, Rem Pitlick scores for Montreal but the Panthers get the 9-5 win over the Canadiens.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In Manhattan, the Rangers welcome the Penguins back to The Garden and in the first period New York takes the 1-0 lead with a Mika Zibanejad goal. In the second, Pittsburgh ties it up when Rickard Rakell scores but then Tyler Motte scores to put New York up 2-1. In the third, Jake Guentzel’s goal ties up for the Pens but the Blueshirts take the lead for good when Chris Kreider nets a pair as the Rangers get the 4-2 win over the Penguins.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In the Garden State, the Devils welcome the Lighting and in the first period Ross Colton scores to put the Lighting up 1-0. In the second, New Jersey ties it up when Tomas Tatar scores his 16th but then Tampa Bay re-takes the lead when Steven Stamkos strikes with his 28th. In the third, Timo Meier ties it up for New Jersey once more but then Stamkos scores his second of the night. Then, Meier gets his second of the night as the Devils tie it up 3-3. After a scoreless overtime, this contest heads to the shootout where Alex Killorn scores the game winner as the Lightning get the 4-3 win over the Devils.
- Boston Bruins v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg, the Jets welcome the Bruins to town for the lone time on the season. In the first, Trent Frederic and Pavel Zacha score to put Boston up 2-0. After a scoreless second, Tomas Nosek scores the empty netter late in the third as the Bruins shutout the Jets for the 3-0 win.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Music City, the Predators welcome their division rival Blackhawks back to Nashville. In the first, Chicago gets on the board when Lukas Reichel scores his third of the year. After a scoreless second, Joey Anderson put the ‘Hawks up 2-0 but then Roman Josi gets Nashville on the board. Despite the Josi goal, the Blackhawks escape as they down the Predators 2-1.
- Dallas Stars v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton, the Oilers look to have the Stars align in their favour. In the first, Edmonton gets a pair of goals when Warren Foegele and Mattias Janmark score to put the Oilers up 2-0. After a scoreless second, Dallas gets on the board when Wyatt Johnstonm gets his 19th but then Edmonton gets a pair when Connor McDavid and Janmark, getting his second of the night, score to give the Oilers the 4-1 win over the Stars.
- Calgary Flames v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Sin City, the Golden Knights welcome the Flames back to Vegas. In the first, MacKenzie Weegar scores his second of the year to put Calgary up 1-0. In the second, Tyler Toffoli nets his 27th to put Calgary up 2-0 but then Vegas gets a pair when Zach Whitecloud and Reilly Smith score to tie the game 2-2. Then, Calgary takes the 3-2 lead when Blake Coleman scores his 15th. In the third, Calgary scores four when Mikael Backlund, Tyler Toffoli, scoring his second on the night, Blake Coleman, also scoring his second of the night, and Dillon Dube all lighting the lamp as the Flames breeze by the Golden Knights for the 7-2 win.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In the Desert, the Coyotes welcome the Canucks back to Arizona. In the first, Vancouver scores first when Andrei Kuzmenko scores his 34th but then Arizona ties it up when Travis Boyd nets his 13th. In the second, Boyd scores his second of the night to put Arizona up 2-1. In the third, Lawson Crouse’s 22nd of the year puts Arizona up two but then Elias Petttersson scores his 31st of the year to bring the Canucks within a goal. However, Arizona holds on as the Coyotes get the 3-2 win over the Canucks.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In Hollywood, the Kings welcome the Blue Jackets and after a scoreless first, Los Angeles lights the lamp four times when Drew Doughty, Anze Kopitar, Viktor Arvidsson, and Carl Grundstrom all score as the Kings go up 4-0. In the third, Columbus gets on the board when Kirill Marchenko score but the Kings get the 4-1 win over the Blue Jackets.
- Seattle Kraken v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In the Shark Tank, the Sharks welcome the Kraken back to Northern California and after a scoreless first and second, Seattle gets on the board when William Eklund scores but then Oliver Bjorkstrand scores his 15th to tie the game. In overtime, Vince Dunn scores the game winner as the Kraken get the 2-1 win over the Sharks.
- BUF v. PHI – 7p ET
- CAR v. TOR – 7p ET
- STL v. WAS – 7p ET
- CLB v. ANA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Jay Woodcroft (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.