NHL News and Notes from Sunday, March 12th, 2023
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined Toronto Maple Leafs forward John Tavares.
- Tavares would be fined $5,000 for slashing Edmonton Oilers defenseman Vincent Deharnais on Saturday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowable per the CBA.
- Boston Bruins v. Detroit Red Wings – 130p ET
- In Detroit, Original Six teams do battle once again. Only this time, the Red Wings welcome the Bruins to the Motor City. In the first, Detroit takes the 1-0 lead when Alex Chiasson scores his second of the year. In the second, Moritz Seider scores his fifth and then Dylan Larkin scores his 25th to put Red Wings up 3-0. Then, Adam Erne scores his eighth of the year to give Detroit the commanding 4-0 lead, but then Boston will finally get on the board when Matt Grzelcyk score his fourth of the year. In the third, Boston nets a pair when Jake DeBrusk scores his 20th of the year and then David Pastrnak’s 46th of the year brings the B’s within a goal but then Andrew Copp’s empty net goal, his eighth goal of the year, gives the Red Wings the 5-3 win over the Bruins.
- New York Rangers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 4p ET
- In Pittsburgh, the Penguins welcome the Rangers back to the Steel City. In the first, the Penguins get on the board when Rickard Rakell scores his 23rd of the year but then the Rangers tie it up with Barclay Goodrow’s 11th of the year. In the second, Jason Zucker nets his 24th to give Pittsburgh the one goal lead back. In the third, the Blueshirts tie it up with Chris Kreider’s 28th of the year. In overtime, Kris Letang scores his ninth of the year as the Penguins escape with the 3-2 win over the Rangers.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. St. Louis Blues – 7p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues welcome the Golden Knights to town. In the first, Vegas takes the 1-0 lead with William Karlsson’s 13th of the year but then St. Louis ties it up with Jakub Vrana’s thrid of the year. In the second, Jonathan Marchessault scores his 21st and then Michael Amadio scores his 11th to put the Golden Knights up two but then Jordan Kyrou’s 30th brings the Blues within a goal. In the third, Tyler Pitlick’s fifth ties the game for St. Louis but then Pavel Dorofeyev scores his first of the year to put Vegas back in the lead. Then, Alex Pietrangelo’s ninth of the year gives the Golden Knights the 5-3 win over the Blues.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey, the Devils welcome the Hurricanes to the Garden State. In the first, Jack Hughes scores his 37th of the year and then Jesper Bratt nets his 26th to put New Jersey up 2-0. In the second, Jesper Bratt nets his second of the contest as the Devils shutout the Hurricanes for the 3-0 win.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay, the Lightning welcome the Jets. In the first, Tampa Bay takes the 1-0 elad wehn Alex Killorn gets his 20th of the year but then Winnipeg ties it up with Nate Schmidt’s eighth of the year. In the second, Winnipeg takes the 2-1 lead with Nino Niederreiter’s 21st and then the Jets take the two goal lead after Morgan Barron nets his seventh of the year. However, Anthony Cirelli scores his 10th of the year but the Jets escape with the 3-2 win over the Lightning.
- Ottawa Senators v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary, the Flames welcome the Senators back to the Saddledome. In the first, Calgary gets a pair when Rasmus Andersson scores his ninth and then Elias Lindholm scores his 19th. In the second, Ottawa gets on the board when Tim Stützle scores his 32nd but then Calgary responds with a pair of goals from Jonathan Huberdeau, scoring his 13th, and then Noah Hanifin, scoring his fifth. In the third, Trevor Lewis scores his ninth as the Flames get the 5-1 lead over the Senators.
- Minnesota Wild v. Arizona Coyotes – 930p ET
- In Arizona, the Coyotes welcome the Wild. In the first, Arizona takes the 1-0 lead when Barrett Hayton scores his 12th but then Minnesota ties it up when Mats Zuccarello scores his 22nd. Arizona re-takes the lead with Hayton’s second of the contest but then the Wild tie it up again with Ryan Reaves’ second of the year. In the second, Matt Boldy’s 19th and Connor Dewar’s sixth put the Wild up two. Then, Brett Ritchie scores his eighth of the year as the ‘Yotes come within a goal. In the third, Clayton Keller scores his 28th as Arizona ties the game. In overtime, Clayton Keller scores the game winner as the Coyotes come from behind and get the 5-4 win over the Wild.
- Nashville Predators v. Anaheim Ducks – 930p ET
- In Anaheim, the Ducks welcome the Predators. In the first, Nashville gets a pair of goals when Philip Tomasino scores his third and then Tommy Novak scores his 11th. Then, Anaheim gets on the board when Mason McTavish scores his 15th. In the second, Frank Vatrano’s 16th ties the game. In the third, Kiefer Sherwood’s second puts Nashville back up and then Yakov Trenin’s 10th makes it a 4-2 Preds lead. But then Troy Terry scores his 19th of the year and Mason McTavish scores his second of the night as the Ducks tie it up 4-4. In overtime, Tommy Novak scores his second and the game winner, as the Predators get the 5-4 win over the Ducks.
- BUF v. TOR – 730p ET
- COL v. MON – 730p ET
- DAL v. SEA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.