NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, January 31st, 2023
- The NHL announced that Vegas Golden Knights forward Chandler Stephenson will join the Pacific All Stars.
- Stephenson will replace Seattle Kraken forward Matty Beniers.
- Beniers will miss the All Star Weekend due to injury, and will also mean that the Kraken will not have a representative at the All Star Weekend.
- Los Angeles Kings v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would take on the Los Angeles Kings, and in the first period Brent Burns would score to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. In the second period Adrian Kempe would net a pair of goals, and both Kevin Fiala and Anze Kopitar would score to give the Kings the 4-1 lead. Then in the third period Paul Stastny, Jordan Staal, and Teuvo Teravainen would score to tie the game at four as the Canes would force overtime. In the extra frame Sebastian Aho would score in the final minute to give the Hurricanes the 5-4 overtime comeback victory over the Kings.
- Ottawa Senators v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would play host to the Ottawa Senators in a Battle of Canada, and in the first period Claude Giroux and Tim Stutzle would score to give the Sens the 2-0 lead, but Kirby Dach would score to get the Habs back within one. In the second period Alex DeBrincat would score to reclaim the two goal lead for the Sens, but Mike Hoffman would score to get the Habs back within one. Then in the third period Rafael Harvey-Pinard would score a pair of goals for the Habs, but Stutzle would net his second of the game and Brady Tkachuk would score to give the Senators the 5-4 victory over the Canadiens.
- Washington Capitals v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Washington Capitals would come to town to take on the Blue Jackets, and in the first period Garnet Hathaway and Trevor van Riemsdyk would score to give the Caps the 2-0 lead, but Andrew Peeke would score to get the Jackets on the board and back within one. In the second period van Riemdyk would net his second of the game to give the Caps the two goal lead back, but Eric Robinson would score to get the Jackets back within one. Then in the third period Johnny Gaudreau would score to tie the game at three for the Jackets, but in overtime Evgeny Kuznetsov would score to give the Capitals the 4-3 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- CAR v. BUF – 730p ET
- BOS v. TOR – 730p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Jordan Peterson’s Ottawa event directly opposes NHL’s diversity and inclusion efforts, experts say (Yahoo)
- Insider Trading: Horvat open to talks with Isles; Boeser interest hinges on salary retention (TSN)
- 32 Thoughts: Canucks, Islanders make interesting gambles in Horvat trade (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.