NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, January 18th, 2023
- The Arizona Coyotes unveiled their new alternate jerseys that were designed by Rhuigi Villasenor.
- The jerseys, nicknamed “Desert Night”, will be worn 14 times during the 2022-23 season.
- Montreal Canadiens announced that forward Juraj Slafkovsky will miss three months with a lower-body injury that will not require surgery.
- The Canadiens also announced that forward Jake Evans will miss 8-10 weeks with a lower-body injury that also does not require surgery.
- The NHL and NHLPA announced that Nashville Predators forward Michael McCarron has been reinstated by the Player Assistance Program.
- The Detroit Red Wings and San Jose Sharks made a trade.
- The Red Wings acquired forward Jasper Weatherby.
- The Sharks acquired forward Kyle Criscuolo.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators would play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period both teams would trade a pair of goals as Alex DeBrincat and Tim Stutzle would strike for the Sens while Jason Zucker and Evgeni Malkin would score for the Pens for the 2-2 tie. In the second period Mark Friedman would score for the Pens while Drake Batherson would score for the Sens as the game would remain tied. Then in the third period Shane Pinto would score for the Sens, and Rickard Rakell would score for the Pens as this game would go to overtime tied at four. In the extra frame Brady Tkachuk would score to give the Senators the 5-4 victory over the Penguins.
- Boston Bruins v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would play host to the Boston Bruins, and in the first period Zach Parise would score for the Isles to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Charlie McAvoy and Derek Forbort would score to give the B’s the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Brad Marchand and Trent Frederic would score as the Bruins would go on to defeat the Islanders 4-1.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Calgary Flames – 930p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would go to the battle with the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Mikko Rantanen would net his 30th of the season while Artturi Lehkonen would net a pair of goals to give the Avs the 3-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Tyler Toffoli would strike to get the Flames on the board, but Rantanen’s second of the game would give the Avalanche the 4-1 victory over the Flames.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver the Canucks would take on the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Steven Stamkos would net a pair of goals to reach 500 career NHL goals and both Nikita Kucherov and Brayden Point would score to give the Bolts the 4-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Andrei Kuzmenko and Quinn Hughes would score for the Canucks, but Stamkos would strike once again to complete the hat trick to give the Lightning the 5-2 victory over the Canucks.
- Dallas Stars v. San Jose Sharks – 10p ET
- In San Jose the Dallas Stars would come to town to take on the Sharks, and in the first period Ty Dellandrea would score to give the Stars the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jason Robertson and Radek Faksa would score for the Stars to take the 3-0 lead, but goals from Steven Lorentz, Nick Bonino, and Timo Meier would tie the game at three for the Sharks. Then in the third period Erik Karlsson and Logan Couture would score to give the Sharks the 5-3 comeback victory over the Stars.
- ANA v. CLB – 7p ET
- BOS v. NYR – 7p ET
- CHI v. PHI – 7p ET
- FLA v. MON – 7p ET
- MIN v. CAR – 7p ET
- WIN v. TOR – 7p ET
- NYI v. BUF – 730p ET
- NAS v. STL – 8p ET
- TB v. EDM – 9p ET
- WAS v. ARI – 9p ET
- DET v. VGK – 10p ET
- NJ v. SEA – 10p ET
- DAL v. LA – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Capitals without Nic Dowd for ‘a bit’ as power-play struggles continue (The Athletic – $)
- Flyers’ Ivan Provorov Skips Pride Night Warmups Because of Religious Beliefs (PHI Hockey Now)
- Got Yer’ Back Podcast: Erik Karlsson Interview and a Conversation on Ivan Provorov (Got Yer’ Back)
- How do teams and the NHL navigate through something like the Provorov situation? (TSN)
- Flames say they’re talking to Treaty 7 nations about land acknowledgement (CBC)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.