NHL News and Notes from Monday, January 2nd, 2023
- The St. Louis Blues announced that forwards Ryan O’Reilly and Vladimir Tarasenko have both been placed on IR.
- O’Reilly will mis time due to a broken foot while Tarasenko will miss time due to an injured hand.
- The NHL announced that Nashville Predators forward Filip Forsberg has been named First Star of the Week.
- Erk Karlsson (SJ) and Antti Raanta (CAR) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Forsberg Highlights as First Star
- The NHL announced that the 2024 NHL Winter Classic will take place at T-Mobile Park in Seattle, WA.
- The Seattle Kraken will play host to the Vegas Golden Knights.
- T-Mobile Park is the home to the Seattle Mariners of Major League Baseball.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Boston Bruins – 2p ET – 2023 NHL Winter Classic at Fenway Park
- At Fenway Park for the Winter Classic the Boston Bruins would play host to the Pittsburgh Penguins, and after a scoreless first period Kasperi Kapanen would score to give the Pens the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Jake DeBrusk would score a pair of goals to give the Bruins the 2-1 victory over the Penguins.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Denver, the Avalanche and Golden Knights face-off. In the first period, Colorado takes the 1-0 lead when Nathan MacKinnon scores his ninth of the year but then Vegas ties it up when Michael Amadio scores his sixth of the season. In the second, Nicolas Roy scores a pair of goals to give Vegas the 3-1 lead. In the third, the Avs Mikko Rantanen scores his 25th of the year but the Golden Knights escape the Mile High City with the 3-2 win over the Avalanche.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Ducks host the Flyers for the lone time this season. In the first, Philadelphia gets a pair of goals when Joel Farabee and Morgan Frost both score. In the second, Travis Konecny’s 19th of the year puts Philly up 3-0. In the third, Scott Laughton’s ninth of the year gives the Flyers the 4-0 lead but then Ryan Strome scores to get the Ducks on the board with 30 seconds left in the contest. However, the Flyers go on to defeat the Ducks 4-1.
- ARI v. FLA – 7p ET
- BUF v. WAS – 7p ET
- CAR v. NYR – 7p ET
- CLB v. OTT – 7p ET
- STL v. TOR – 7p ET
- CAL v. WIN – 8p ET
- MON v. NAS – 8p ET
- TB v. CHI – 830p ET
- SEA v. EDM – 9p ET
- NYI v. VAN – 10p ET
- DAL v. LA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Retired Smith-Pelly ‘huge role model’ in Black community (Color of Hockey)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: From the Green Monster (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.