NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, December 28th, 2022
- The Washington Capitals have loaned forward Beck Malenstyn to Hershey of the AHL.
- The NHL has fined the Toronto Maple Leafs for violating the CBA.
- The Leafs were fined $100,000 for the team’s travel to St. Louis on Dec. 26th which is a violation of Article 16.5(b) of the CBA.
- The NHL also fined Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe.
- Keefe was fined $25,000 for demeaning conduct directed at the officials in St. Louis on Tuesday night.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa the Lightning host the Canadiens. In the first, Tampa Bay gets a pair of goals when Alex Killorn scores his 10th of the year and then Brayden Point scores his 18th of the year on the power play to make it a 2-0 Lightning lead. In the second, Brayden Point scores his second of the night to increase the Tampa lead to 3-0. In the third, Brandon Hagel scores his 13th of the year to make it a 4-0 Bolts lead but then Montreal finally gets on the board when Kaiden Guhle scores his second of the year, however the Lightning breeze by the Canadiens to get the 4-1 win.
- Boston Bruins v. New Jersey Devils – 730p ET
- In New Jersey, the Devils host the Bruins. After a scoreless first, Trent Frederic nets his seventh of the year to give the Bruins the 1-0 lead after 40. In the third, New Jersey gets on the board when Nico Hischier scores his 14th of the year to tie the game but then Boston re-takes the lead when Patrice Bergeron scores his 14th of the year. Pavel Zacha shuts the door on the contest when he nets an empty net goal, his fifth goal on the year, as the Bruins escape with the 3-1 win over the Devils.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 730p ET
- In the Steel City, the Red Wings visit Pittsburgh. In the first, the Penguins gets four goals when Drew O’Connor scores his first of the season, Jeff Carter scores his fifth of the year, and then Jason Zucker nets a pair of goals. In the second, Detroit gets a pair of goals when Dylan Larkin scores his 13th and then Joe Veleno nets his fifth. In the third, the Red Wings get a pair of goals to even the score when Jonatan Berggren nets his fifth and then David Perron scores his 12th of the year. In overtime, Jake Walman scores his second of the year to complete the Red Wings comeback and get the 5-4 win over the Penguins.
- Calgary Flames v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, the Kraken host the Flames. In the first, Calgary jumps to the 1-0 lead when Tyler Toffoli scores his 15th of the year but then Seattle ties it up when Ryan Donato scores his eighth of the year. In the second, Seattle takes the 2-1 lead when Jamie Oleksaik scores his fifth of the year but then Nazem Kadri scores his 14th on the Calgary power play to even the score. In the third, Jonathan Huberdeau scores his seventh of the year as the Flames defeat the Kraken 3-2.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Ducks host the Golden Knights. In the first, Adam Henrique scores a pair of goals to give Anaheim the 2-0 lead but then Mark Stone scores a shorthanded goal to bring Vegas within a goal. In the second, Ben Hutton scores his first of the year to tie the game for Vegas. In the shootout, Troy Terry scores the game-winner as the Ducks get the 3-2 win over the Golden Knights.
- DET v. BUF – 7p ET
- MON v. FLA – 7p ET
- NYR v. TB – 7p ET
- OTT v. WAS – 7p ET
- CLB v. NYI – 730p ET
- CHI v. STL – 8p ET
- DAL v. MIN – 8p ET
- VAN v. WIN – 8p ET
- LA v. COL – 9p ET
- TOR v. ARI – 9p ET
- PHI v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Caps tasked with replacing injured Carlson on multiple fronts (NBC Sports Washington)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.