NHL News and Notes from Thursday, December 8th, 2022
- Los Angeles Kings v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto, the Maple Leafs host the Kings for the lone time on the 2022-23 season. After a scoreless first, Toronto will get four goals when Pierre Engvall, David Kampf, William Nylander, and Mitchell Marner all get on the score sheet. In the third, Auston Matthews 14th goal of the season gives the Maple Leafs the 5-0 shutout win over the Kings.
- Nashville Predators v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa, the Lightning host the Predators in a match-up of Reverse Retro jerseys. In the first, Tampa gets a pair of goals when Brayden Point nets his 12th and Corey Perry scores his fourth but then Nashville’s Mark Jankowski’s shorthanded goal, his third goal of the season, makes this a 2-1 Tampa lead. In the second, Nashville ties the contest up when Alexandre Carrier nets his first of the year. In the third, Tampa gets the lead back when Brayden Point scores his second of the night and Nicholas Paul’s 12th of the year gives the Bolts the 4-2 lead. Tampa Bay then closes the door on the night when Brandon Hagel nets a shorthanded goal, his eighth of the season, as the Lightning strike down the Predators for the 5-2 win.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Florida Panthers – 730p ET
- In South Florida, the Panthers and Red Wings do battle. In the first, Florida takes the 1-0 lead when Chris Tiereny scores his first of the season. In the second, Eetu Luostarinen scores his seventh of the year to give Florida the 2-0 lead and then Josh Mahura scores his third of the year as the Panthers take the 3-0 lead. Detroit then gets on the board when Jonatan Berggren nets a power play goal, his fourth of the year, but then Matt Kiersted’s first career NHL goal gives the Cats the three goal lead back. Matthew Tkachuk’s 13th goal of the year gives the Panthers the 5-1 win over the Red Wings when no goals are scored in the third period.
- Winnipeg Jets v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues host the Jets in a divisional matchup. In the first, Winnipeg takes the 1-0 lead with Pierre-Luc Dubois’ 12th goal of the year. In the second, the Jets make it a 2-0 lead when Kyle Connor scores his 11th of the year and then Blake Wheeler’s power play goal, his eighth of the year, gives Winnipeg the 3-0 lead. Robert Thomas’ sixth of the year put the Blues on the board. In the third, Pierre-Luc Dubois’ second of the night gives Winnipeg the three goal lead once more but then Josh Leivo nets his second of the year to bring St. Louis within a pair. Cole Perfetti’s empty netter, his fifth goal of the season, lifts the Jets to the 5-2 win over the Blues.
- Ottawa Senators v. Dallas Stars – 830p ET
- In the Lone Star state, the Stars host the Senators for the lone time on the season. In the first, Dallas gets a pair of goals when Miro Heiskanen nets a pair of goals to take the 2-0 lead but then Ottawa responds when they score a pair of goals when Derick Brassard nets his fourth and Thomas Chabot nets his sixth. After a scoreless second, Ottawa take the 3-2 lead when Travis Hamonic nets his third of the year but then Nils Lundkvist nets his second to tie the game. In overtime, Tyler Seguin scores his fifth of the year as the Stars get the 4-3 win over the Senators.
- CAL v. CLB – 7p ET
- NYI v. NJ – 7p ET
- PIT v. BUF – 7p ET
- SEA v. WAS – 7p ET
- WIN v. CHI – 830p ET
- MIN v. EDM – 9p ET
- NYR v. COL – 9p ET
- BOS v. ARI – 930p ET
- PHI v. VGK – 10p ET
- SJ v. ANA – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Insider Trading: What are the options for the salary cap next season? (TSN)
- 32 Thoughts: Canucks’ Boeser, Horvat trending toward being trade candidates (SportsNet)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.