NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, November 15th, 2022
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that they have fined Ottawa Senators forward Mathieu Joseph.
- Joseph was fined $5,000 for high sticking New York Islanders defenseman Sebastian Aho on Monday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed per the CBA.
- The Boston Bruins announced that they have retained an experienced and respected team of professionals to conduct an independent review of the team’s player-vetting process.
- The independent review will be led by former US Attorney General Loretta Lynch of the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton, and Garrison.
- Dallas Stars v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would go to battle with the Dallas Stars, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Ross Colton would open the scoring for the Bolts while Mason Marchment would strike to tie the game at one. In the second period Nick Paul and Steven Stamkos would score for the Bolts, but goals from Joe Pavelski and Jason Robertson would keep this a tied game. Then in the third period Ian Cole would score for the Bolts while Radek Faksa would score for the Stars to send this game to overtime tied at four. In the extra round of hockey it would be Alex Killorn with the winner as the Lightning would go on to defeat the Stars 5-4.
- New Jersey Devils v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the red hot New Jersey Devils, and after a scoreless first period Evgenii Dadonov would score for the Habs, but a pair of goals from Jack Hughes and a tally from Dougie Hamilton would give the Devils the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Jesper Bratt and John Marino would score to give the Devils the 5-1 victory over the Canadiens.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would host the Toronto Maple Leafs, and in the first period John Tavares would net his 400th career NHL goal and Mitch Marner would score to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead. In the second period the Pens would respond with goals from Rickard Rakell and Sidney Crosby, but a pair of goals from Michael Bunting would keep the Leafs ahead by two. Then in the third period William Nylander would score to give the Maple Leafs the 5-2 victory over the Penguins.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Vancouver Canucks would come to town to visit the Sabres, and in the first period Jeff Skinner would score for the Sabres, but goals from Dakota Joshua and Ethan Bear (first as a Canuck) would give the Canucks the 2-1 lead. In the second period Skinner would net his second of the game and Alex Tuch would score for the Sabres, but goals from Elia Pettersson, JT Miller, and Bo Horvat would give the Canucks the 5-3 lead. Then in the third period Casey Mittelstadt would score for the Sabres, but the Canucks would hold on for the 5-4 victory over the Sabres.
- Washington Capitals v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Washington Capitals would continue their trip through Florida as they would take on the Panthers, and in the first period Aleksander Barkov would score to give the Panthers the 1-0 lead. In the second period Sam Reinhart would score to grow the Panthers lead to two, but Dylan Strome would score to get the Caps back within one. Then in the third period John Carlson would score for the Caps, but a pair of goals from Carter Verhaeghe and a tally from Nick Cousins would give the Panthers the 5-2 victory over the Capitals.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 730p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would play host to the Philadelphia Flyers, and in the first period Sean Kuraly would strike to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. In the second period Boone Jenner would score to give the Jackets the 2-0 lead, but goals from Kevin Hayes and Noah Cates would tie the game at two for the Flyers. Then in the third period Jenner would net his second of the game and Eric Robinson would score for the Jackets, but tallies from Nick Seeler and Travis Konecny would send the game to overtime tied at four. In the extra frame it would be Vladislav Gavrikov with the winner to give the Blue Jackets the 5-4 victory over the Flyers.
- Minnesota Wild v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would take on the Minnesota Wild, and in the first period Nino Niederreiter and Matt Duchene would score to give the Preds the 2-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Frederick Gaudreau would score to get the Wild on the board, but the Predators would hold on for the 2-1 victory over the Wild.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would rock their Reverse Retro 2.0 jerseys for the final time at home as they take on the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Jonatan Berggren would net his first career NHL goal for the Wings, but Mason McTavish would strike late to tie the game at one for the Ducks. In the second period Michael Rasmussen would score for the Wings to take the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period John Klingberg would net h is first as a Duck to tie the game at two to force overtime. In the extra frame Ryan Strome would score to give the Ducks the 3-2 victory over the Red Wings.
- San Jose Sharks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas the Golden Knights would renew their rivalry with the San Jose Sharks, and in the first period Jack Eichel would net his 10th of the season to give the Knights the 1-0 lead. In the second period Luke Kunin would score to tie the game for the Sharks, but Jonathan Marchessault would score to retake the one goal lead for the Knights. Then in the third period the Sharks would pounce on the Knights as they would Matt Nieto, Timo Meier, Logan Couture, and Mario Ferraro would score to give the Sharks the 5-2 victory over the Golden Knights.
- BUF v. OTT – 7p ET
- STL v. CHI – 730p ET
- LA v. EDM – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Rantanen Take Top Honors (TXHT)
- Insider Trading: Dorion ‘very active’ exploring trade market; Sharks will listen on Karlsson (TSN)
- ‘There’s been a fair level of interest’ in Ottawa Senators, deputy commissioner Daly says (Ottawa Citizen)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.