NHL News and Notes from Friday, October 28th, 2022
- NHL’s Department of Player Saftey announced that Detroit’s Michael Rasmussen was suspended for two games for High-sticking Boston’s David Krejci.
- The Vancouver Canucks have acquired D Ethan Bear and F Lane Pederson from the Carolina Hurricanes for a 2023 5th round draft pick. Carolina will retain a portion of Bear’s salary.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 6p ET
- In Vegas, the Ducks face off against the Golden Knights in a matinee contest. In the first period, Chandler Stephenson scores his fourth of the year on the power play to give Vegas the 1-0 lead. In the second, Reilly Smith nets his second of the year, a shorthanded goal to give Vegas the 2-0 lead and then William Karlsson scores his fourth of the year to give the Golden Knights the 3-0 lead. Nicolas Roy then strikes with his second of the year as the Golden Knights shutout the Ducks with the 4-0 win.
- NOTE: Anaheim wore their black jerseys and Vegas wore their white jerseys in honour of Nevada Day
- Boston Bruins v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets host the Bruins. In the first, Boston takes the 1-0 lead when Matt Grzelcyk nets his first of the year. In the second, the Bruins take the 2-0 lead when Charlie Coyle nets his third of the year, a shorthanded goal and then Jake DeBrusk scores his third of the year to make it a 3-0 Boston lead. David Pastrnak then closes the door on the contest with his seventh of the year as the Bruins go on to shutout the Blue Jackets 4-0.
- Colorado Avalanche v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey, the Avalanche make their lone trip to the Garden State to take on the Devils. After a scoreless first and second period, Jack Hughes scores his third goal, a power play goal, to give the Devils 1-0 lead and win over the Avalanche.
- NOTE: New Jersey wore their black alternates
- New York Islanders v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Raleigh, the Hurricanes host the Islanders in a Metro Division match-up. In the first, Oliver Wahlstrom scores his fourth of the year to give New York the 1-0 lead. In the second, Carolina ties it up when Martin Necas scores his fourth but the Isles re-take the lead when Matt Martin scores his second of the year. Carolina then makes it a tie game once again when Brent Burns scores his first goal as a Hurricane but then Josh Bailey nets his second of the year to make it a 3-2 Islanders lead. In the third, Brock Nelson scores a pair of goals to make it a 5-2 New York lead and then Zach Parise’s empty net shorthanded goal, his second of the season, gives the Islanders the 6-2 win over the Hurricanes.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Western Canada, the Penguins make the lone trip to Vancouver to take on the Canucks. In the first period, Tanner Pearson scores his first of the season to give the Canucks the 1-0 lead. In the second, Bo Horvat nets his fifth of the year, a power play goal, to make it a 2-0 Vancouver lead but then Pittsburgh gets on the board when Rickard Rakell scores his fourth of the year, a power play goal In the third, Vancouver takes the 3-1 lead when Andrei Kuzmenko nets his third of the year and then Bo Horvat’s second of the night, another power play goal, puts Vancouver up by three. J.T. Miller’s empty net goal, his fifth goal of the year, sinks Pittsburgh as the Canucks fly by the Penguins with the 5-1 win.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Arizona Coyotes – 1030p ET
- In the temporary home opener at Mullet Arena at Arizona State University, the Coyotes host the Jets. In the first, Arizona gets a pair of goals from Christian Fischer to give the Yotes the 2-0 lead but then Winnipeg gets on the board when Cole Perfetti scores his third of the year. After a scoreless second, Mark Scheifele’s sixth of the year ties it up for the Jets. In overtime, Blake Wheeler’s second of the year gives the Jets the 3-2 win over the Coyotes.
- NYR v. DAL – 2p ET
- TB v. SJ – 4p ET
- OTT v. FLA – 4p ET
- TOR v. LA – 7p ET
- MON v. STL – 7p ET
- CAR v. PHI – 7p ET
- CHI v. BUF – 7p ET
- MIN v. DET – 7p ET
- COL v. NYI – 730p ET
- WAS v. NAS – 8p ET
- PIT v. SEA – 10p ET
- EDM v. CAL – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts: The Podcast – Two Goals, One Assist, and No Licks (Sportsnet)
- “Stressful For the Parents” – Tkachuk brothers meet for first time in Atlantic Division matchup (CBC)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey and Dr. Squatch ads/links in this article.