NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, March 15th, 2022
- The Minnesota Wild and Colorado Avalanche would make a trade.
- The Wild would acquire forward Tyson Jost
- The Avalanche would acquire forward Nico Sturm
- The Dallas Stars announced that goaltender Anton Khudobin would undergo surgery.
- Khudobin would have surgery on his right hip and had a labral repair.
- Khudobin’s recovery will take approximately six months.
- Dallas Stars v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would host the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Rasmus Sandin and John Tavares would score to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Ondrej Kase and Ilya Mikheyev would score to give the Maple Leafs the 4-0 victory. Goaltender Erik Kallgren would record his first career NHL shutout in his first career start.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Arizona Coyotes would continue their road trip against the Canadiens, and in the first period Laurent Dauphin would score for the Canadiens, but goals from Barrett Hayton, Anton Stralman, Nick Ritchie, and Lawson Crouse would give the Yotes the 4-1 lead. In the second period Cole Caufield would net a pair of goals for the Habs, but a Clayton Keller tally would keep the Yotes ahead by two. Then in the third period Nick Schmaltz would score to give the Coyotes the 6-3 victory over the Canadiens.
- Anaheim Ducks v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the Anaheim Ducks, and in all three periods both teams would score a goal each as Max Comtois, Cam Fowler, and Derek Grant would score for the Ducks while Jonny Brodzinski, Mika Zibanejad, and Chris Kreider would score for the Rangers. Then in overtime Adam Fox would score to give the Rangers the 4-3 victory.
- New York Islanders v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In DC the Washington Capitals would host the New York Islanders with history in the making. In the first period Anthony Mantha would score to give the Caps the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Brock Nelson and Kyle Palmieri would score to give the Isles the 2-1 lead. In the third period Axel Jonsson-Fjallby would net his first career NHL goal and Alex Ovechkin would net goal number 767 to pass Jaromir Jagr for 3rd all time in goals scored, but a late goal from Anders Lee would send the game to overtime tied at three. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey it would be Mantha in the eighth round to give the Capitals the 4-3 victory over the Islanders.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would host the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Mattias Ekholm would score to give the Preds the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jake Guentzel would strike for the Pens, but goals from Tanner Jeannot and Eeli Tolvanen would give the Preds the two goal lead. Then in the third period Yakov Trenin would score to give the Predators the 4-1 victory over the Penguins.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would battle the Vegas Golden Knights, and in the first period Blake Wheeler and Kyle Connor would score to give the Jets the 2-0 lead. In the second period Nicolas Roy would score for the Knights, but goals from Nikolaj Ehlers, Logan Stanley, and Mark Scheifele would give the Jets the 5-1 lead. Then in the third period Alex Pietrangelo and Michael Amadio would score for the Knights, but Josh Morrissey and Adam Lowry would score to give the Jets the 7-3 victory over the Golden Knights.
- Boston Bruins v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would host their Original Six rival Boston Bruins, and after a scoreless forty minutes of hockey Brandon Hagel would strike for the Blackhawks, but Patrice Bergeron would score for the B’s to tie the game at one and send the game to overtime. Then in the extra frame Matt Grzelcyk would score to give the Bruisn the 2-1 victory over the Blackhawks.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would host the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Marc Staal would score for the Wings, but Devin Shore, Connor McDavid, Zach Hyman, and Kailer Yamamoto would score to give the Oilers the 4-1 led. In the second period Sam Gagner would strike for the Wings to cut their deficit to two. Then in the third period Evander Kane would score for the Oilers, but Filip Zadina, Staal, and Lucas Raymond would score to tie the game at five. Warren Foegele would score his eighth of the year and Evander Kane scored his second of the night as the Oilers down the Red Wings 7-5.
- New Jersey Devils v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver the Canucks would host the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Ryan Graves would score for the Devils, but goals from Brad Hunt and Nils Hoglander would give the Canucks the 2-1 lead. In the second, New Jersey ties the game up when Jack Hughes scores his 19th of the year but Vancouver responds when Bo Horvat strikes for his 21st of the year to give the Canucks the lead again. Vancouver then takes the two goal lead after Tanner Pearson nets his 13th of the year but then New Jersey comes within a goal when Nathan Bastian finds the net for his 11th of the year. As we move the third, Vancouver makes it a 5-3 lead when Bo Horvat scores his second of the night. Juho Lammikko nets his seventh of the year as the Canucks go on to double up the Devils with the 6-3 win.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Kings host the Avalanche and in the first period, Colorado takes the 1-0 lead when Valeri Nichushkin scores his 15th of the year. In the second the Avs take the 2-0 lead after J.T. Compher strikes for his 12th of the year. In the third, Mikko Rantanen scores his 29th as the Avs shutout the Kings 3-0.
- Florida Panthers v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks host the Panthers for the lone time on the season and in the first period, Logan Couture gets the Sharks the 1-0 lead with his 20th of the year. However, the Panthers tie the game when Jonathan Huberdeau nets his 19th of the year but the Sharks re-take the lead when Nicolas Meloche nets his second of the year. In the third, Frank Vatrano scores his ninth of the year to tie the game for the Panthers. In the Overtime session, Frank Vatrano nets his second of the game as Florida defeats San Jose 3-2.
- BOS v. MIN – 730p ET
- CLB v. OTT – 730p ET
- TB v. SEA – 10p ET
- NJ v. CAL – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- There’s more to the Auston Matthews suspension than meets the eye (Toronto Star – $)
- Insider Trading: Talks escalating for Chiarot; Leafs showing interest in Sharks’ Middleton (TSN)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.