NHL News and Notes from Saturday, March 5th, 2022
- St. Louis Blues v. New York Islanders – 1230p ET
- On Long Island to kick off a busy Saturday in the NHL the New York Islanders would host the St. Louis Blues, and in the first period Oliver Wahlstrom would score to give the Isles the 1-0 lead. In the second period Brock Nelson would strike as the Isles would take the two goal lead. Then in the third period Robert Thomas would strike for the Blues, but the Islanders would hold on to defeat the Blues 2-1.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Philadelphia Flyers – 3p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would host the Chicago Blackhawks, and in the first period Oskar Lindholm would score to give the Flyers the 1-0 lead. In the second period Cam Atkinson would score for the Flyers, but a pair of goals from Dylan Strome and a Alex DeBrincat tally would give the Blackhawks the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Derick Brassard and Atkinson would score to give the Flyers the 4-3 victory over the Blackhawks.
- Ottawa Senators v. Arizona Coyotes – 4p ET
- In Arizona it would be a barn burner as the Coyotes would host the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Nick Schmaltz and Clayton Keller would score to give the Yotes the 2-0 lead. In the second period Parker Kelly would net a pair of goals and Josh Norris would score for the Sens, but goals from Schmaltz and Matias Maccelli would keep the Yotes ahead by one. Then in the third period Alex Formenton and Nick Paul would score fo rthe Sens, but goals from Keller, Lawson Crouse, Shayne Gostisbehere, and Dysin Mayo would give the Coyotes the 8-5 victory over the Senators.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Florida Panthers – 6p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would host the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Robby Fabbri would strike for the Wings, but goals from Mason Marchment, Anthony Duclair, and Anton Lundell would give the Panthers the 3-1 lead. In the second period Sam Bennett, Lucas Carlsson, and Lundell would score to give the Panthers the five goal lead. Then in the third period Tyler Bertuzzi would strike for the Wings, but the Panthers would hold on for the 6-2 victory over the Red Wings.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Edmonton Oilers – 7p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would host the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Evander Kane would strike for the Oilers, but goals from Cole Caufield and Brendan Gallagher would give the Habs the 2-1 lead. In the second period Ryan McLeoad would score for the Oilers, but Nick Suzuki would score to keep the Habs in the one goal lead. Then in the third period Artturi Lehkonen and Mike Hoffman would score to give the Canadiens the 5-2 victory over the Oilers.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would take on the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period John Tavares would score for the Leafs, but goals from JT Miller and Travis Hamonic would give the Canucks the 2-1 lead. In the second period Brock Boeser would score for the Canucks, but a pair of goals from Auston Matthews and a tally from Nick Robertson would give the Leafs the 4-3 lead. Then in the third period Tanner Pearson, Alex Chiasson, and Tyler Motte would score to give the Canucks the 6-4 victory over the Maple Leafs.
- Seattle Kraken v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington DC the Seattle Kraken would come to town for the first time in franchise history, and in the first period Joonas Donskoi would score for the Kraken, but goals from Tom Wilson and Dmitry Orlov would give the Caps the 2-1 lead. In the second period Colin Blackwell would score for the Kraken, but Conor Sheary would strike on the powerplay to keep the Caps ahead by one. Then in the third period Alex Ovechkin and Sheary would score to give the Capitals the 5-2 victory over the Kraken.
- Boston Bruins v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would retire Rick Nash’s #61 to the rafters as they hosted the Boston Bruins, and in the first period Jake DeBrusk would score for the B’s, but goals from Gustav Nyquist and Vladislav Gavrikov would give the Jackets the 2-1 lead. In the second period Erik Haula would strike for the B’s while Zach Werenski would score for the Jackets to keep them ahead by one. Then in the third period Jakub Voracek would strike for the Jackets, but goals from Craig Smith and Patrice Bergeron would tie the game at four to send the game to overtime. After a scoreless five minutes of extra hockey David Pastrnak would score the lone goal of the shootout to give the Bruins the 5-4 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Nashville Predators v. San Jose Sharks – 8p ET
- In San Jose the Nashville Predators would come to town to take on the Sharks, and in the first period Michael McCarron and Matt Duchene would score to give the Preds the 2-0 lead. In the second period Matt Luff would score a pair of goals to grow the Preds lead to four. Then in the third period Duchene and McCarron would both net their second goals of the game plus goals from Yakov Trenin and Mikael Granlund would give the Predators the 8-0 victory over the Sharks.
- Calgary Flames v. Colorado Avalanche – 10p ET
- In Colorado the Avalanche would host the Calgary Flames, and in the first period both teams would traded a pair of tallies as Elias Lindholm would net a pair of goals for the Flames, and Gabriel Landeskog and Andre Burakovsky would strike for the Avs. In the second period Erik Gudbranson and Nathan MacKinnon would score for their respective teams. Then after a scoreless third period Johnny Gaudreau would strike 37 seconds into overtime to give the Flames the 4-3 victory over the Avalanche.
- LA v. BUF – 1p ET
- STL v. NJ – 1p ET
- DAL v. MIN – 4p ET
- TB v. CHI – 7p ET
- NYR v. WIN – 7p ET
- SEA v. CAR – 7p ET
- OTT v. VGK – 8p ET
- SJ v. ANA – 8p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts: Big week upcoming as teams decide what to do with pending UFAs (HNIC)
TXHT may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through Cool Hockey ads/links in this article.