NHL News and Notes from Thursday, February 24th, 2022
- The NHL announced that they have fined Toronto Maple Leafs forward Michael Bunting.
- Bunting was fined $2,000 for diving/embellishment under NHL Rule 64.
- Bunting was issued a warning for diving against Nashville on Nov. 16th.
- His second citation occurred during the Leafs game against Pittsburgh on Feb. 17th, thus triggering the fine.
- New Jersey Devils v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would take on the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Jesper Bratt would net a pair of goals and Yegor Sharangovich would score to give the Devils the 3-0 lead. In the second period Evgeni Malkin would strike on the Pens, but Dawson Mercer and Damon Severson would strike to give the Devils the 5-1 lead. Then in the third period Nico Hischier would strike to give the Devils the 6-1 victory over the Penguins.
- Minnesota Wild v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would play host to the Minnesota Wild, and after a scoreless first period Frederick Gaudreau would strike for the Wild, but Auston Matthews would strike for the Leafs for the 1-1 tie. Then in the third period Matthews would net his second of the game and Alex Kerfoot would score to give the Maple Leafs the 3-1 victory over the Wild.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would take on the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period MacKenzie Weegar would strike for the Panthers and Patrik Laine would score for the Jackets for the 1-1 tie. In the second period Boone Jenner would strike to give the Jackets the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Jonathan Huberdeau and Sam Bennett would strike for the Panthers, but Gabriel Carlsson, Cole Sillinger, Justin Danforth, and Oliver Bjorkstrand would score to give the Blue Jackets the 6-3 victory over the Panthers.
- Washington Capitals v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the Washington Capitals, and in the first period Mika Zibanejad would strike for the Rangers to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Alexis Lafreniere would strike for the Rangers to grow their lead to two. Then in the third period Alex Ovechkin would strike for the Caps, but goals by Chris Kreider and Barclay Goodrow would give the Rangers the 4-1 victory over the Capitals.
- Dallas Stars v. Nashville Predators – 830p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would raise Pekke Rinne’s #35 to the rafters as they hosted the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Philip Tomasino would strike for the Preds to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jason Robertson would strike to tie the game at one for the Stars. In the shootout, Mikael Granlund scores the lone goal to give Nashville the 2-1 win over Dallas.
- Calgary Flames v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks host the Flames with Vancouver wearing their Black Skate Heritage jerseys. After a scoreless first, the Canucks get five goals when Elias Pettersson scores his 15th, and J.T. Miller and Bo Horvat each get a pair of goals. In the third period, Conor Garland scores his 14th of the year and then Elias Pettersson scores his second of the night. Calgary finally gets on the board when Andrew Mangiapane nets his 26th of the year but the Canucks end the Flames win streak with the 7-1 win.
- Boston Bruins v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, Boston visits Seattle for the first time and in the first period the Kraken get on the board when Mark Giordano scores his sixth of the year and then the Bruins tie it up when Jake DeBrusk scores his 10th of the year. In the second, David Pastrnak scores his 28th of the year giving Boston the 2-1 lead but then Jordan Eberle ties is up for the Kraken with his 15th of the year. In overtime, Jake DeBrusk scores the game winner as the Bruins get the 3-2 win over the Kraken.
- New York Islanders v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Islanders visit the Sharks for the lone time on the year and in the first, Brock Nelson gets the Isles on the board with his 19th of the year but then San Jose gets a pair of goals when Alexander Barabanov scores his eighth of the year and then Jasper Weatherby scores his fourth of the year. In the second, New York ties it up when Zach Parise scores his seventh of the year but San Jose re-takes the lead when Logan Couture nets his 18th of the year. The Isles tie it up once more after Adam Pelech strikes with his third goal of the season. In the shootout, Logan Couture scores the lone goal as the Sharks get the 4-3 win over the Islanders.
- CLB v. CAR – 7p ET
- BUF v. STL – 8p ET
- NJ v. CHI – 830p ET
- WIN v. COL – 9p ET
- VGK v. ARI – 930p ET
- LA v. ANA – 10p ET