NHL News and Notes from Monday, February 21st, 2022
- The San Jose Sharks have claimed forward Ryan Dzingel from Toronto off of waivers.
- Dzingel was acquired by the Maple Leafs from Arizona via trade on Saturday night, and was placed on waivers on Sunday afternoon.
- The NHL announced that Calgary Flames forward Elias Lindholm was named First Star of the Week.
- Aaron Ekblad (FLA) and Jake Oettinger (DAL) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Lindholm Heats Up for Top Honors
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Arizona Coyotes made their second trade together in three days.
- Toronto acquired goaltender Carter Hutton
- Arizona will be receiving Future Considerations
- Colorado Avalanche v. Boston Bruins – 1p ET
- In Boston the Bruins would play host to the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period David Pastrnak would strike to give the B’s the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nathan MacKinnon would score for the Avs, but goals from Patrice Bergeron, Pastrnak, and Jake DeBrusk would give the B’s the three goal lead. Theni n the third period Charlie Coyle would score to give the Bruins the 5-1 victory over the Avalanche.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Philadelphia Flyers – 3p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would play host to the Carolina Hurricanes, and after a scoreless first period Gerry Mayhew would score for the Flyers, but goals from Nino Niederreiter and Teuvo Teravainen would give the Canes the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Patrick Brown would score to tie the game at two for the Flyers, but Vincent Trocheck would score to give the Hurricanes the 3-2 lead. However, Oskar Lindblom would score to tie the game at three to send it to overtime. In the extra frame Brett Pesce would strike in the final seconds of overtime to give the Hurricanes the 4-3 victory over the Flyers.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Calgary Flames – 4p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would play host to the Winnipeg Jets, and after a scoreless first period Sean Monahan would score for the Flames and Dominic Toninato would strike for the Jets for a 1-1 tie. Then in the third period Elias Lindholm and Tyler Toffoli would score to give the Flames the 3-1 victory over the Jets.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In an Original Six match-up, the Maple Leafs visit the Canadiens and in the first period Josh Anderson gets his 11th of the year to give Montreal the 1-0 lead. Then, Cole Caufield scores his sixth of the year to make it a 2-0 Canadiens lead. In the second, Mike Hoffman scores his ninth and then Josh Anderson goes on to score his second of the night to give the Habs the 4-0 lead. Montreal then extends the lead to 5-0 when Rem Pitlick goes on to net his 10th of the year. As the contest shifts to the third period, Toronto finally strikes when Ilya Mikheyev scores his eighth of the year and then Pierre Engvall scores eighth but Montreal holds off Toronto with a 5-2 win.
- Seattle Kraken v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Kraken visit the Canucks for the first time and in the first period, Vancouver take the 1-0 lead when Tyler Motte scores his sixth of the year but Seattle responds with a pair of goals from Jared McCann, scoring his 21st, and Mark Giordano, scoring his fifth, to take the 2-1 lead. In the second, Travis Hamonic ties the game up with his first of the year to tie the game for the ‘Nucks and then Vasily Podkolzin nets his eighth of the year to give Vancouver the 3-2 lead. In the third, Bo Horvat scores his 15th to give Vancouver the 4-2 lead and then the Canucks seal the win after Tanner Pearson scores his ninth of the year as Vancouver defeats Seattle 5-2.
- NAS v. FLA – 7p ET
- TOR v. CLB – 7p ET
- MIN v. OTT – 7p ET
- STL v. PHI – 7p ET
- SJ v. ANA – 10p ET
- NYI v. SEA – 10p ET