NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, January 26th, 2022
- The Vancouver Canucks announced Patrik Allvin as the new General Manager.
- Allvin becomes the 12th General Manager in Canucks history.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety suspended Buffalo Sabres goaltender Aaron Dell.
- Dell was suspended for three games for interference against Ottawa Senators forward Drake Matherson on Tuesday night.
- Per the CBA, and based on Dell’s average annual salary, he will forfeit $11,250.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would play host to the Anaheim Ducks, and in the first period Sam Steel would score for the Ducks, but goals from Mitch Marner and William Nylander would give the Leafs the 2-1 lead. In the second period Jakob Silfverberg would strike for the Ducks, but John Tavares would score to keep the Leafs ahead by one. Then in the third period Vinni Lettieri would score to tie the game at three to force overtime. After a scoreless extra frame it would be Auston Matthews would strike in the shootout to give the Maple Leafs the 4-3 victory over the Ducks.
- San Jose Sharks v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington the Capitals would host the San Jose Sharks, and in the first period Noah Gregor would score to give the Sharks the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nicolas Meloche would net his first career NHL goal to grow the Sharks lead to two. Then in the third period Daniel Sprong would score for the Caps, but Johnathan Dahlen and Andrew Cogliano would score to give the Sharks the 4-1 victory over the Capitals.
- Calgary Flames v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would host the Calgary Flames, and in the first period Mikael Backlund would score to give the Flames the 1-0 lead. In the second period Andrew Mangiapane and Matthew Tkachuk would score to give the Flames the 3-0 lead. Then in the third period Elias Lindholm, Erik Gudbranson, and Tkachuk would score to give the Flames the 6-0 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would host the Chicago Blackhawks for an Original Six matchup, and in the first period Dominik Kubalik and Sam Lafferty would score and Dylan Strome would net a pair of goals to give the Blackhawks the 4-0 lead. In the second period Robby Fabbri, Tyler Bertuzzi, and Pius Suter would score to get the Wings back within one. Then in the third period Moritz Seider and Dylan Larkin would score for the Wings, but Strome would complete the hat trick, Alex Debrincat would net a pair and Brandon Hagel would score to give the Blackhawks the 8-5 victory over the Red Wings.
- Boston Bruins v. Colorado Avalanche – 10p ET
- In the Mile High City, the Bruins make their annual visit to Colorado. In the first period, Colorado takes the 1-0 lead when Kurtis MacDermid nets his first of the year. In the second, Jake DeBrusk scores his seventh of the year to tie the game for Boston and then Charlie Coyle nets his 10th of the year to give the B’s the 2-1 lead. Brad Marchand then nets his 21st of the year to give Boston the two goal lead. In the third, Samuel Girard nets his fifth of the year to bring the Avs within a goal and then Gabriel Landeskog nets his 16th to tie the game 3-3. In overtime, Cale Makar scores the game winner with his 17th of the year as the Avs down the Bruins 4-3.
- ANA v. MON – 7p ET
- CAR v. OTT – 7p ET
- NJ v. TB – 7p ET
- VGK v. FLA – 7p ET
- LA v. NYI – 7p ET
- SEA v. PIT – 7p ET
- NYR v. CLB – 7p ET
- CAL v. STL – 8p ET
- VAN v. WIN – 8p ET
- NAS v. EDM – 9p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Naked – A TSN Original on Saroya Tinker (TSN)