NHL News and Notes from Friday, January 21st, 2022
- The Montreal Canadiens announced that goaltender Jake Allen will miss eight weeks due to a lower body injury.
- New York Rangers v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina, the Rangers and Hurricanes resume their rivalry. In the first period, Vincent Trocheck scores a power play goal, his ninth goal of the year, to give the Hurricanes the 1-0 lead. Seth Jarvis then nets his eighth of the year to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. In the second, Jesper Fast nets his ninth of the year to make it a 3-0 Carolina lead but then the Rangers get on the board when Mika Zibanejad nets his 15th of the year during the power play chance. Sebastian Aho scores his 17th of the year to make it a 4-1 Canes lead and then Nino Niederreiter nets his 11th as the Canes take the four goal lead. In the third, Chris Kreider scores his 26th of the year followed by Greg McKegg netting his first as the Rangers come within two. Carolina seals the win after Tony DeAngelo nets his seventh of the year during the power play to give the Hurricanes the 6-3 win over the Rangers.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets and Penguins face-off. In the first period, Brian Dumoulin gets the Pens on the board just 32 seconds into the game with his third goal of the season but then Columbus ties the game when Gustav Nyquist strikes with his 10th of the year with a shorthanded goal. Boone Jenner then nets his 16th of the year late in the period to give the Blue Jackets the 2-1 lead. Sidney Crosby then scores his eighth of the year with 29 seconds left in the period to make it a 2-2 tie. Following a scoreless second, Mike Matheson scores his sixth of the year and then Sidney Crosby nets his second of the night as the Pens take the 4-2 lead. Sidney Crosby completes the hat trick as the Penguins down the Blue Jackets with the 5-2 win.
- Dallas Stars v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In the Motor City, the Stars make their lone trip to Detroit on the year. In the first period, Ryan Suter scores his fourth goal of the year to get the Stars the 1-0 lead but then Robby Fabbri nets his 11th of the year to tie the game. In the second, Joel Kiviranta nets his first goal of the year to give the Stars the lead once more but then Pius Suter ties the game for the Red Wings with his ninth of the year. Dylan Larkin then gives the Red Wings the lead with his 19th of the year but then Dallas ties it up when Esa Lindell nets his third of the year. In the third, Tyler Bertuzzi nets his 19th of the year to give the Red Wings the 4-3 lead but then it turns to a tie game once more when Jason Robertson scores his 16th of the year. In the overtime session, Roope Hintz scores his 17th of the year as the Stars down the Red Wings 5-4.
- Arizona Coyotes v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- In Long Island, the Coyotes make their lone trip to UBS Arena to take on the Islanders. In the first period, Scott Mayfield nets his second of the year followed by Austin Czarnik scoring his second to give the Isles the 2-0 lead. After a scorless second, Brock Nelson nets a pair of goals in the third as the Islanders shutout the Coyotes with the 4-0 win.
- Minnesota Wild v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In the Windy City, the Wild do battle with the Blackhawks. In the first period, Marcus Foligno nets his 15th of the year to take the 1-0 Wild lead. Ryan Hartman then nets a pair of goals to make it a 3-0 Minnesota lead. In the second, Calen Addison scores his second of the year and then Brandon Duhaime scores his fourth of the year to make it a 5-0 Minnesota lead. In the third, Dylan Strome scores his fourth of the year for the Blackhawks but the Wild breeze by with the 5-1 win.
- Florida Panthers v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Panthers faceoff against the Canucks. In the first, Alex Chiasson scores his fourth of the year to make it a 1-0 Canucks lead. After a scoreless second, Sam Reinhart scores his 12th of the year to tie the game for Florida. Aleksander Barkov scores the game winner in the shootout as the Panthers get the 2-1 win over the Canucks.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Lightning do battle with the Ducks. In the first period, Derek Grant nets his fifth of the year to give the Ducks the 1-0 lead. With seven seconds left in the period, Kevin Shattenkirk nets his seventh of the year to give Anaheim the 2-0 lead. In the second, Derek Grant scores his second of the night to make it a 3-0 Ducks lead. In the third, Vinni Lettieri strikes with his fourth of the year to give Anaheim the 4-0 lead and then Tampa Bay gets on the board when Ross Colton scores his sixth of the year. Nicolas Deslauriers then nets his second of the year on a shorthanded goal to give Anaheim the 5-1 win over Tampa Bay.
- St. Louis Blues v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, St. Louis drops in to take on Seattle in their first and only trip of the year. In the first period, Tyler Bozak scores his second of the year with the shorthanded goal and then Brayden Schenn nets his eighth of the year during the power play to make it a 2-0 St. Louis lead. In the third, Pavel Buchnevich nets his 15th to make it a 3-0 St. Louis lead. Colton Parayko scores his fifth of the year and then Jordan Kyrou nets his 15th of the year as the Blues shutout the Kraken 5-0.
- PHI v. BUF – 1p ET
- WIN v. BOS – 3p ET
- MON v. COL – 7p ET
- CAR v. NJ – 7p ET
- ARI v. NYR – 7p ET
- OTT v. WAS – 7p ET
- TOR v. NYI – 7p ET
- DET v. NAS – 830p ET
- CHI v. MIN – 9p ET
- CAL v. EDM – 10p ET
- TB v. SJ – 1030p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Barkov Breaks The Oilers & Ryan Getzlaf Joins The Podcast (SportsNet)