NHL News and Notes from Thursday, January 13th, 2022
- The Iowa Wild have signed forward Eric Staal to a Professional Tryout Agreement.
- The NHL has suspended Montreal Canadiens defenseman Chris Wideman.
- Wideman was suspended for one game for head butting Boston Bruins forwad Erik Haula on Wednesday night.
- Per the CBA, and based on Wideman’s average annual salary, he will forfeit $3,750.00.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston the Bruins would officially welcome Tuukka Rask back between the pipes as they host the Philadelphia Flyers, and in the first period David Pastrnak would net a pair of goals to give the B’s the 2-0 lead. In the second period Cam Atkinson and Joel Farabee would strike to tie the game at two, but Pastrnak would complete the hat trick to give the B’s the 3-2 victory over the Flyers.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would play host to the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Matthew Highmore would score for the Canucks, but goals from Steven Stamkos and Anthony Cirelli would score to give the Bolts the 2-1 lead. Then after a score less second period Tyler Motte would score for the Canucks, but goals from Boris Katchouk and Brayden Point would give the Lightning the 4-2 victory over the Canucks.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would host the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period Emil Bemstrom would score to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. In the second period Yegor Chinakhov would score to grow the Jackets lead to two. Then in the third period Patrik Laine, Chinakhov, Cole Sillinger, and Jack Roslovic would all score to give the Blue Jackets the 6-0 victory over the Hurricanes.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would take on the Winnipeg Jets, and in the first period Andrew Copp would strike to give the Jets the 1-0 lead. In the second period Copp would score his second of the game to grow the Jets lead to two. Then in the third period Kyle Connor would net his 20th of the season to give the Jets the 3-0 victory over the Red Wings.
- New Jersey Devils v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- On Long Island the New York Islanders would host the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Yegor Sharangovich would strike for the Devils, but Josh Bailey would score to tie the game at one for the Isles. In the second period Adam Pelech would score for the 2-1 Isles lead. Then in the third period Nathan Bastian would score for the Devils, but Mathew Barzal would strike to give the Islanders the 3-2 victory over the Devils.
- Seattle Kraken v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would play host to the Seattle Kraken, and in the first period Alexander Wennberg would score to give the Kraken the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Robert Thomas and Pavel Buchnevich would score to give the Blues the 2-1 victory over the Kraken.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would take on the Buffalo Sabres, and in the first period Mark Jankowski would score to give the Sabres the 1-0 lead. In the second period Matt Duchene would strike for the Preds, but Jeff Skinner would score to keep the Sabres ahead by one. Then in the third period Skinner would net his second of the game and Vinnie Hinostroza would score to give the Sabres the 4-1 victory over the Predators.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would play host to their Original Six rival Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Dminik Kubalik would score to give the Blackhawks the 1-0 lead. In the second period Jeff Petry and Mike Hoffman would score for the Habs to take the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Patrick Kane would score to tie the game at two to send the game to overtime. Then in the extra frame Philipp Kurashev would score to give the Blackhawks the 3-2 victory over the Canadiens.
- Ottawa Senators v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would play host to the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Nick Paul would net a pair of goals to give the Sens the 2-0 lead. In the second period the Sens would grow their lead to three with Drake Batherson’s tenth goal of the season. Then in the third period Matthew Tkachuk would score for the Flames, but Connor Brown would score to give the Senators the 4-1 victory over the Flames.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Penguins look to knock the Kings off a throne. In the first, Kris Letang scores his second of the year to make it a 1-0 Penguins lead but then Anze Kopitar scores his 10th to make it a 1-1 game. In the second, the Kings take the 2-1 lead when Dustin Brown nets his sixth of the year. In the third, Radim Zohorna scores his first goal of the season to make it a 2-2 game. The Kings then take the 3-2 lead after Mikey Anderson scores his first of the year. Los Angeles then take the two goal advantage after Viktor Arvidsson scores his ninth of the year and then Anze Kopitar scores his second of the night to give the Kings the 5-2 lead. The Kings seal the win after Sean Durzi nets his second of the year to give Los Angeles the 6-2 win over the Penguins.
- New York Rangers v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks look to get the win over the Rangers. In the first, Chris Kreider nets his 22nd to make it a 1-0 Rangers lead. In the third, Braden Schneider nets his first career NHL goal to make it a 2-0 New York lead. Chris Kreider then scores his second of the night as the Rangers shutout the Sharks with a 3-0 win.
- DAL v. FLA – 7p ET
- ANA v. MIN – 8p ET
- ARI v. COL – 9p ET
- VGK v. EDM – Postponed