NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, January 11th, 2022
- The Washington Capitals announced they have re-assigned goaltender Zach Fucale to Hershey of the AHL.
- The Detroit Red Wings announced that they have hired Nicklas Lidstrom as Vice PResident of Hockey Operations.
- Lidstrom played for the Red Wings for 20 seasons from 1991 to 2012.
- Lidstrom won four Stanley Cups (1997, 1998, 2002, and 2008) with the Red Wings.
- Lidstrom was captain of the Red Wings from 2006-12.
- Lidstrom’s #5 is retired by the Red Wings.
- The Boston Bruins announced that they have signed goaltender Tuukka Rask.
- Rask signed a one year deal worth $1 million.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would host the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Ondrej Palat and Anthony Cirelli would score to give the Bolts the 2-0 lead. In the second period Nikita Kucherov would net a pair of goals and Steven Stamkos would strike to grow the Bolts lead to five. Then in the second period Vinnie Hinostraza would score for the Sabres, but Kucherov’s third of the game to complete the hat trick and give the Lightning the 6-1 victory over the Sabres.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would host the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Jason Dickinson would score for the Canucks, but goals from Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart would give the Panthers the 2-1 lead. In the second period Sam Reinhart, Maxim Mamin, and Aleksander Barkov would score to grow the Panthers lead to four. Then in the third period Juho Lammikko would score for the Canucks, but the Panthers would hold on for the 5-2 victory over the Canucks.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- Postponed due to COVID-19
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would host the Chicago Blackhawks, and in the first period both teams would trade tallies as Boone Jenner would strike for the Jackets and Alex DeBrincat would score for the Blackhawks for the 1-1 tie. In the second period Calvin de Haan would score to give the Blackhawks the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Gustav Nyquist would strike for the Jackets, but goals from Connor Murphy and DeBrincat would give the Blackhawks the 4-2 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would take on the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Tanner Jeannot and Luke Kunin would score to give the Preds the 2-0 lead. In the second period Nicolas Aube-Kubel and Andre Burakovsky would score to tie the game at two for the Avs, but Kunin’s second of the game would retake the lead for the Preds. Then in the third period Nathan MacKinnon would score to tie the game at three for the Avs, but Matt Duchene would strike to retake the lead for the Preds. However, Cale Makar would score to tie the game at four to force overtime. In the extra frame Duchene would net his second of the game to give the Predators the 5-4 victory over the Avalanche.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In the Fortress, Toronto looks to knock off the Golden shine in the Knights. In the first, William Nylander nets his 16th and then Keegan Kolesar scores his third to make it a 1-1 game. In the second, Toronto gets a pair of goals from Auston Matthews, his 23rd, and Illya Mikheyev, his fourth, to make it a two goal lead for the Maple Leafs. In the third, William Karlsson scores his fifth of the year as Vegas comes within a goal of the Maple Leafs and then Alex Pietrangelo scores his sixth to make it a tie game at 3-3. William Nylander scores the lone goal in the shootout session as the Maple Leafs get the 4-3 win.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In Anaheim, the Penguins face off against the Ducks in their lone trip to California. In the first, Jeff Carter nets his 10th of the year to give the Pens the 1-0 lead. In the second, Evgeni Malkin nets his first of the year to make it a 2-0 Pittsburgh lead. Jakob Silfverberg scores his second of the year to cut the Pens lead in half. Malkin then scores his secodn of the night as Pittsbugrh re-takes the two goal lead. In the third, Jeff Carter scores the lone goal with his 11th as the Penguins breeze by the Ducks with the 4-1 win.
- Detroit Red Wings v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Red Wings face off against the Sharks and in the first period, Timo Meier nets his 15th to give the Sharks the 1-0 lead. In the second, Tyler Bertuzzi scores his 17th to tie the game at 1-1. In the third, Nick Leddy gives the Red Wings the 2-1 lead but then Jeffrey Viel ties the game for the Sharks with his 2nd of the year. In overtime, Logan Couture scores his 13th of the year as the Sharks get the 3-2 win over the Red Wings.
- New York Islanders v. Calgary Flames – Postponed
- Postponed due to Canada’s Attendance Restrictions
- MON v. BOS – 7p ET
- SEA v. DAL – 830p ET
- TOR v. ARI – 10p ET
- BOS v. MON – Postponed
- MIN v. EDM – Postponed
Noteworthy in Hockey
- How Robin Lehner’s quest to raise mental-health awareness has helped hockey fans (The Athletic – $)
- Today in Hockey History: January 11 – Flyers Conquer Red Army: January 11, 1976 (NHL.com)
- Penguins GM Ron Hextall on character, chemistry and staving off a rebuild (The Athletic – $)
- On the fraught relationship between NHL, HDA (SB Nation via MSN.com)
- Insider Trading: Oilers see Evander Kane as a good fit (TSN)
- 32 Thoughts Blog: Oilers making serious attempt to get Evander Kane (SportsNet)