NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, January 5th, 2022
- The Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks made a trade.
- The Penguins acquired forward Alex Nylander
- The Blackhawks acquired forward Sam Lafferty
- The NHL and 20 of their teams are suing five insurance providers.
- The insurance providers are alleged to have breached contracts by refusing to reimburse losses of more than $1 billion due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The lawsuit was filed in June 2021
- The NHL announced 3 more games were postponed due to Canada’s Attendance Restrictions
- Edmonton Oilers v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would host the Edmonton Oilers in front of no fans for the second time this season, and in the first period John Tavares would kick start the scoring for the Leafs to take the 1-0 lead, but goals from Brendan Perlini and Leon Draisaitl would score to give the Oilers the 2-1 lead. However, before the first period would end TJ Brodie would score to tie the game at two. Then after a scoreless second period Ilya Mikheyev and Alexander Kerfoot would score to give the Maple Leafs the 4-2 victory over the Oilers.
- St. Louis Blues v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 730p ET
- In Pittsburgh for the first early evening game on TNT since the beginning of the season the Penguins would host the St. Louis Blues, and after a scoreless first period Bryan Rust would net a pair of goals for the Pens, but goals from Brayden Schenn, Jordan Kyrou, and Colton Parayko would give the Blues the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Sidney Crosby, Evan Rodrigues, and Brock McGinn would score to give the Penguins the 5-3 victory over the Blues.
- New York Islanders v. Vancouver Canucks – Postponed
- Postponed due to Canada’s Attendance Restrictions
- MIN v. BOS – 7p ET
- SJ v. BUF – 7p ET
- CAL v. TB – 7p ET
- CLB v. NJ – 7p ET
- PIT v. PHI – 7p ET
- FLA v. DAL – 830p ET
- WIN v. COL – 9p ET
- CHI v. ARI – 9p ET
- NYR v. VGK – 10p ET
- DET v. ANA – 10p ET
- OTT v. SEA – Postponed
- NAS v. LA – 1030p ET
- TOR v. MON – Postponed
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Jakob Chychrun trade rumours intensify; Canadiens, Canucks, Ducks ramp up GM searches (The Athletic – $)
- Too much of Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl just might be a bad thing for the Oilers (Toronto Star – $)
- The Forgotten Maritime NHLer (FDS Podcast Network)
- Citing losses of more than $1 billion, NHL sues insurers over rejected COVID-19 claims (TSN)