NHL News and Notes from Thursday, December 30th, 2021
- The Minnesota Wild announced that they have signed Head Coach Dean Evason to a multi-year contract extension.
- The Wild also signed the rest of Evason’s coaching staff to multi-year extensions as well.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida, Tampa bay looks to bring some Lightning to the Panthers. In the first, Anthony Duclair strikes for his 11th of the year to make it a 1-0 Panthers lead. Jonathan Huberdeau then finds the back of the net for his 11th of the year on the power play. Florida then jumps out to the 3-0 lead when Frank Vatrano scores his seventh of the year. Tampa Bay gets on the board after Zach Bogosian scores his second of the year. In the second, Eetu Luostarinen nets his eighth of the year as the Panthers re-gain the three goal lead. Steven Stamkos will then cut that lead in half with his 15th on the year. Florida then gets a pair of goals when Maxim Mamim nets his fourth and Anton Lundell nets his seventh as the Panthers make this a 6-2 lead. In the third, Brayden Point nets his 10th on a power play to make it a 6-3 Panthers lead but Anthony Duclair gets his second of the night as the Panthers take the four goal lead. Aaron Ekblad then scores his ninth of the year and then Aleksander Barkov shuts the door with his 11th of the year as the Panthers breeze by the Lightning with the 9-3 win.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina, the Canadiens look to stop the Storm Surge and get the win over the Hurricanes. In the first period, Nino Niederreiter gets his ninth of the year followed by Teuvo Teravainen getting his eighth of the year as the Hurricanes make this a 2-0 lead. In the second, Teravainen gets his second of the night as Carolina takes the 3-0 lead. In the third, Seth Jarvis scores his fifth as the Canes get the 4-0 shutout win over the Habs.
- Nashville Predators v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus, the Blue Jackets look to get the win over the Predators. In the first, the Preds get on the board when Michael McCarron nets his first of the year but Columbus ties it up after Booner Jenner gets his 12th of the year. In the second, Patrik Laine gets his fourth of the year to give the Blue Jackets the 2-1 lead. Nashville then gets a pair of goals from Nick Cousins, scoring his fourth, and Ryan Johansen, scoring his ninth, to take the 3-2 lead. In the third, Columbus ties the game up when Alexandre Texier nets his 10th of the year. Gustav Nyqvist then nets the winner in the shootout to give Columbus the 4-3 win over Nashville.
- Buffalo Sabres v. New York Islanders – 730p ET
- In Long Island, the Islanders look to get the win over the Sabres. In the first, Mathew Barzal scores his sixth of the year to take the 1-0 lead but Buffalo responds with Kyle Okposo’s seventh of the year to tie the game. In the second, Kieffer Bellows scores his third and Andres Lee scores his ninth as the Isles take the 3-1 lead. In the third, New York seals the win after Noah Dobson scores his fourth of the year as the Islanders get the 4-1 win over the Sabres.
- Calgary Flames v. Seattle Kraken – 10p ET
- In the Emerald City, Calgary makes their first visit to Seattle. In the first, Seattle gets on the board when Mark Giordano nets his fourth of the year but Calgary responds with a goal by Johnny Gaudreau, his 11th on the year. In the second, Calle Jarnkrok nets his third as the Kraken re-take the lead. Calgary gets a pair of goals when Gaudreau gets his second of the night and then Milan Lucic gets his eighth of the year as the Flames take the 3-2 lead. In the third, Yanni Gourde gets his eighth of the year as the Kraken tie it up with the Flames 3-3. Andrew Mangiapane scores his 18th of the year to give the Flames the lead once more but Jared McCann scores his 13th to make it a 4-4 game. Matthew Tkachuk nets his 13th and Noah Hanifin nets his third as the Flames get the 6-4 win over the Kraken.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Los Angeles Kings – 1030p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Canucks look to win their eighth straight game. After a scoreless first, the Kings get on the board when Brendan Lemieux scores his sixth of the year. In the third, Bo Horvat scores his 11th as the Canucks tie it up 1-1. In the shootout, Adrian Kempe scores the lone goal as the Kings get the 2-1 win over the Canucks.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. San Jose Sharks – 1030p ET
- In San Jose, the Flyers look to get the win over the Sharks. In the first, Morgan Frost gets his second of the year to make it a 1-0 Flyers lead. In the second, San Jose gets a pair of goals from Logan Couture, scoring his 11th, and Brent Burns, scoring his third, as the Sharks take the 2-1 lead. In the third, Joel Farabee nets his ninth as the Flyers even it up 2-2. In overtime, Tomas Hertl scores the game winner as the Sharks get the 3-2 win over the Flyers.
- PIT v. OTT – Postponed
- EDM v. NJ – 1p ET
- ANA v. VGK – 3p ET
- NYR v. TB – 7p ET
- WAS v. DET – 730p ET
- COL v. DAL – Postponed
- WIN v. CAL – Postponed