NHL News and Notes from Friday, December 17th, 2021
- The NHL has announced that the game between the Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins on Dec. 18th in Montreal has been postponed.
- The Winnipeg Jets have announced that Paul Maurice has resigned as Head Coach effective immediately.
- Dave Lowry will take over as interim Head Coach.
- The NHL announced that Commissioner Gary Bettman has upheld and reduced Toronto Maple Leafs forward Jason Spezza’s suspension.
- Spezza was originally suspended for six games for kneeing on Dec. 7th.
- Bettman reduced the suspension from six games to four.
- Spezza is eligible to return to the Leafs lineup on Dec. 18th against Vancouver.
- The Washington Capitals recalled goaltender Zach Fucale from Hershey of the AHL.
- Later in the day the NHL would announce that the Flames would have their games postponed through Dec. 23rd.
- Also the Colorado Avalanche and Florida Panthers would have their games postponed through Dec. 26th (the completion of the NHL’s Holiday Break).
- Vegas Golden Knights v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- In New York City, the Golden Knights head to Madison Square Garden to take on the Rangers. In the first, Vegas gets on the board when Brett Howden scores his third of the year. In the second, the Rangers tie the game just 17 seconds into the period when Mika Zibanejad nets his seventh of the year. Then, the Rangers take the lead Chris Kreider nets a power play goal, his 18th goal of the year. In the third, Dylan Coghlan strikes for his third of the year to tie the game for the Golden Knights. The game heads to a shootout where Jonathan Marchessault scores the game winner as Vegas gets the 3-2 win over the Rangers.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In the Steel City, the Sabres take on the Penguins. In the first, Evan Rodrigues nets a power play, good for his 10th goal of the year, as the Pens take the 1-0 lead. In the second, Brock McGinn scores his eighth to give Pittsburgh the 2-0 lead. Buffalo gets on the board when Zemgus Girgensons scores his sixth of the year. In the third, Buffalo ties the game at 2-2 when Rasmus Dahlin nets his sixth of the year. In overtime, Jeff Carter scores his ninth of the year as Pittsburgh gets the 3-2 over Buffalo.
- Dallas Stars v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis, the Blues face off against the Stars. After a scoreless first period, St. Louis gets on the board when Logan Brown nets his third of the year and then Vladimir Tarasenko scores his 10th of the year as the Blues take the 2-0 lead. In the third, Jason Robertson scores his ninth of the year to get the Stars on the board. Tarasenko then scores his second of the game to give the Blues the two goal lead again and then Ivan Barbashev seals the win for St. Louis when he scores his 11th of the year as St. Louis gets the 4-1 win over Dallas.
- Washington Capitals v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg, the Capitals face off against the Jets. After a scoreless first period, Brett Leason scores his third to give Washington the 1-0 lead and then Daniel Sprong nets his fifth of the year as the Capitals take the 2-0 lead. Winnipeg then gets on the board when Brenden Dillon scores his first of the year. In the third, Josh Morrissey scores a power play goal, his fifth on the year, to tie the game at 2-2. Conor Sheary then scores his seventh of the year to give the Capitals the lead again. Michael Sgarbossa then goes on to net his second of the year to increase Washington’s lead to two and then Washington seals the victory with Alex Ovechkin’s 22nd of the year as the Capitals down the Jets 5-2.
- Nashville Predators v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In the Windy City, the Predators face off against the Blackhawks. In the first, Thomas Novak scores a power play goal, his first of the year, to give the Preds the 1-0 lead. Chicago then ties it up after Kirby Dach’s fifth of the year. After a scoreless second, Colton Sissons scores a power play goal of his own, his fourth goal of the year, to give Nashville the 2-1 lead. Chicago ties it up again with Jonathan Toews third of the year. In Overtime, Tanner Jeannot strikes for his eighth goal of the year as the Preds get the 3-2 win over the Blackhawks.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Anaheim Ducks – 10p ET
- In the Pond, the Coyotes face off against the Ducks. In the first, Arizona gets on the board when Travis Boyd nets his seventh of the year. Anaheim ties it up when Kevin Shattenkirk nets his sixth of the year with a power play goal. Hampus Lindholm gets the Ducks the 2-1 lead with his fourth of the year. The Ducks then take the two goal lead when Derek Grant scores his third of the year. Arizona comes within a goal when Christian Fischer scores his third of the year with a power play goal. In the second, Arizona ties it up 3-3 when Clayton Keller scores his eighth of the year. In the third period, Anaheim re-takes the lead when Trevor Zegras scores his eighth of the year. Arizona ties it up again when Andrew Ladd strikes for his fourth and then the Yotes take the 5-4 lead when Phil Kessel nets his fifth of the year. Anaheim goes on to tie it up when Lindholm nets his second of the game. In the overtime session, Keller nets his second of the game as the Coyotes beat the Ducks 6-5.
- FLA v. MIN – Postponed
- TOR v. VAN – 7p ET
- BOS v. MON – Postponed
- OTT v. PHI – 7p ET
- LA v. CAR – 7p ET
- CHI v. DAL – 8p ET
- NJ v. DET – 8p ET
- TB v. COL – Postponed
- EDM v. SEA – 10p ET
- CLB v. CAL – Postponed
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Insider Trading: Predators’ Cousins calls for NHL to pause season (TSN)
- 32 Thoughts Podcast: Everyone’s Favourite Discussion (SportsNet)
- Flames’ COVID-19 outbreak a warning to public: Expert (Calgary Sun)
- Why the NHL is having a huge COVID-19 outbreak despite high vaccination numbers (Seattle Times)