NHL News and Notes from Thursday, October 21st, 2021
- The New Jersey Devils announced that forward Jack Hughes has a dislocated shoulder (left).
- The injury will not require surgery and Hughes will be re-evaluated next week.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal it would be the return of Jesperi Kotkaniemi as the Carolina Hurricanes take on the Canadiens. After a scoreless first period Sebastian Aho would open the scoring with a powerplay goal, and then Andrei Svechnikov would score to give the Canes the 2-0 lead. However, before the second period ended, Tyler Toffoli would score on the powerplay for the Habs to get them back within one. Then in the third period Kotkaniemi would score his first as a Cane and against his former team, and Aho would net his second of the game to give the Canes the 4-1 victory.
- San Jose Sharks v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa it would be the return of Brady Tkachuk for the Senators as they host the San Jose Sharks. In the first period it would be Drake Batherson with his first of the season to give the Sens the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Logan Couture would score two minutes into the period, and then Kevin Lebanc would score on the powerplay to put the Sharks ahead of the Sens 2-1. In the third period the Sharks would the Senators at bay to take the 2-1 victory.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Colorado Avalanche would continue their road trip as they took on the Panthers. In the firs period Sam Reinhart would net his first as a Panther to give them the 1-0 lead, but with 54 seconds left in the period Mikko Rantanen would strike to tie the game at one. In the second period Sam Bennett would net his fourth of the season while on the powerplay to give the Panthers the one goal lead back, and then Carter Verhaeghe would strike to grow the Panthers lead to two. In the third period Anton Lundell would score to give the Panthers the 4-1 victory.
- Washington Capitals v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would play host to the Washington Capitals, and in the first period the backhand would be the Caps friend as both Anthony Mantha and Dmitry Orlov would score to give the Caps the 2-0 lead. In the second period Daniel Sprong would get a breakaway and would score for his first of the season to grow the Caps lead to three. In the third period Janne Kuokkanen would strike on the powerplay to end Vitek Vanecek’s shutout bid, but Evgeny Kuznetsov would score to give the Caps the 4-1 victory over the Devils.
- Scott’s TXHT Recap – Capitals Take Down the Devils
- New York Islanders v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would host the New York Islanders, and after a scoreless first period Scott Mayfield would score for the Isles to take the 1-0 lead, but goals from Boone Jenner and Cole Sillinger would give the Jackets the 2-1 lead. In the third period Mathew Barzal would score for the Isles to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime which would see Patrik Laine score to give the Blue Jackets the 3-2 victory.
- Calgary Flames v. Detroit Red Wings – 730p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would play host to the Calgary Flames, and in the first period Elias Lindholm would strike to give the Flames the early 1-0 lead, and then Andrew Mangiapane would score to grow the Calgary lead to two. then after a scoreless second period Matthew Tkachuk would net his first of the season to give the Flames the 3-0 victory over the Red Wings.
- New York Rangers v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would host the New York Rangers, and in the first period Filip Chytil would score on the first Rangers shot of the game to give them the 1-0 lead. In the second period Philip Tomasino would score his first career NHL goal for the Preds to tie the game at one. Then in the third period Alexis Lafreniere would net his second of the season and then Barclay Goodrow would socre his first as a Ranger to give the Rangers the 3-1 victory.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Winnipeg Jets – 8p ET
- In Winnipeg the Anaheim Ducks would fly into town to take on the Jets, and in the first period Troy Terry would score on the powerplay to give the Ducks the early lead, but Pierre-Luc Dubois would strike minutes later to tie the game at one. In the second period Andrew Copp would score and then in the third period Josh Morrissey would score on the powerplay and a pair of goals by Kyle Connor would give the Jets the 5-1 victory.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Chicago Blackhawks – 830p ET
- In Chicago the Blackhawks would honor Patrick Kane for 1000 games played before they hosted the Vancouver Canucks. In the first period Jason dickinson would score for the Canucks, but Alex DeBrincat would respond on the powerplay to tie the game at one. Then in the second period Tanner Pearson and Brock Boeser (PPG) would score to give the Canucks the 3-1 lead. In the third period Conor Garland would get the empty netter to give the Canucks the 4-1 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In Arizona the Coyotes would host the Edmonton Oilers, and late in the first period Warren Foegele would net his first goal as an Oiler to give Edmonton the 1-0 lead. In the second period Zach Hyman would strike while shorthanded and Connor McDavid would net his fifth of the season to grow the Oilers lead to three. In the third period, Arizona gets on the board when Dysin Mayo scores his first career NHL goal to cut the Edmonton lead to two but Zach Hyman scores a power play goal, his third goal on the season, to once again give the Oilers the three goal lead. Edmonton seals the win when Connor McDavid scores a power play goal, his second of the night, to give the Oilers the 5-1 win over the Coyotes.
- SJ v. TOR – 6p ET
- BOS v. BUF – 7p ET
- LA v. DAL – 830p ET
- EDM v. VGK – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Greg Wyshynski looks at the state of the captain “C” in the NHL. (ESPN – $)
- The head of the NHL Department of Player Safety George Parros sits down with NHL Network to discuss this season’s early Player Safety Rulings. (NHL Network)
- On Insider Trading Pierre LeBrun and Chris Johnston discuss the Jets and COVID-19, Team Canada, the Senators, and more. (TSN)