NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, October 20th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Florida Panthers forward Joe Thornton.
- Thornton was fined $1,875 for slashing forward Boris Katchouk of the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday night.
- The fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- Boston Bruins v. Philadelphia Flyers – 730p ET
- In the first game of the TNT doubleheader the Philadelphia Flyers would play host to the Boston Bruins, and in the first period Karson Kuhlman would score for the Bruins, but tallies from Cam Atkinson and Joel Farabee would score to give the Flyers the 2-1 lead. In the second period Scott Laughton would score for teh Flyers to grow their lead to two, but Taylor Hall and Brad Marchand would score for the Bruins to tie the game at three. Then in the third period Atkinson would net his second of the game and Travis Konecny and Sean Couturier would score to give the Flyers the 6-3 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In the first match up of three on the season, both teams will look to get the season advantage in The Fortress. In the first period, the Golden Knights get on the board when William Karlsson scores his first of the season at 8:17. As the contest moves to the second, St. Louis will tie the game when Brandon Saad scores his first goal of the year at 3:21, as well as his first goal as a member of the St. Louis Blues organisation. In the third period, Vladimir Tarasenko give the Blues the 2-1 lead with his first goal of the year at 9:49. St. Louis seals the win with an empty net goal by Ivan Barbashev, his second goal of the season with 1:12 left in the game as the Blues defeat the Golden Knights 3-1.
- CAR v. MON – 7p ET
- SJ v. OTT – 7p ET
- COL v. FLA – 7p ET
- WAS v. NJ – 7p ET – TXHT Game Preview
- NYI v. CLB – 7p ET
- CAL v. DET – 730p ET
- NYR v. NAS – 8p ET
- ANA v. WIN – 8p ET
- VAN v. CHI – 830p ET
- EDM v. ARI – 10p ET
Noteworthy in Hockey
- Chris Johnston breaks down the conundrum the San Jose Sharks face regarding the contract of Evander Kane. (Toronto Star – $)
- The Premier Hockey Federation is coming to ESPN+ for the upcoming 2021-22 season! – (PHF)
- The Anaheim Ducks and Edmonton Oilers played a wild on on Tuesday night. (DucksNPucks)
- Alex Ovechkin’s fast start keeps him moving up goal-scoring ladder. (The Hockey Writers)