NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, June 30th, 2021
- On Tuesday, June 29th, The NHL Department of Player Safety would fine Montreal Canadiens defenseman Shea Weber.
- Weber would be fined $5000 for slashing Tampa Bay Lightning forward Nikita Kucherov during Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final on Monday night.
- The $5000 fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- The Buffalo Sabres have announced that they have hired a new head coach.
- Don Granato has been named the new head coach for the Sabres.
- Granato became the interim head coach during 2020-21 regular season for the Sabres.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs re-signed forward Wayne Simmonds to a two year deal.
- The Edmonton Oilers re-signed forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to an eight year extension that’ll carry an AAV of $5.125 million.
- Montreal Canadiens v. TB – Game 2 – 8p ET
- In Game 2 the Tampa Bay Lightning would play host to the Montreal Canadiens, and after a scoreless first period Anthony Cirelli would open the scoring for the Bolts. However, Nick Suzuki would strike on the powerplay to tie the game at one, but with .3 seconds left in the period Blake Coleman would make a diving play to deflect the puck past Carey Price to take the one goal lead back. In the third period a late Joel Edmundson mistake behind the Habs net would allow Ondrej Palat to score and give the Lightning the 3-1 victory and 2-0 series lead over the Canadiens.
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Mistakes Doom Habs
- TB v. MON – Game 3 – 7/2 – 8p ET