NHL News and Notes from Sunday, May 23rd, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has fined Montreal Canadiens defenseman Shea Weber.
- Weber was fined $5000 for cross checking forward Wayne Simmonds of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday night.
- Weber’s fine is the maximum allowed under the CBA.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Nashville Predators – Game 4 – 230p ET
- Game four in Nashville the Predators would start on fire as Luke Kunin would strike 57 seconds into the game to give them the 1-0 lead over the Carolina Hurricanes, but late in the period Vincent Trocheck would jam in the puck to tie the game at one. In the second period Ryan Johansen would score to retake the lead for the Preds, but late in the period Brock McGinn would strike to tie the game at two for the Canes. In the third period McGinn would strike 13 seconds into the period to give the Canes the 3-2 lead, but on Nashville’s first powerplay of the game Nick Cousins would score to tie the game at three and to overtime. Then in double overtime it would be Kunin with his second of the game to give the Predators the 4-3 victory and tie their series with the Hurricanes at two games a piece,
- Michael’s TXHT Recap – Kunin’s 2nd of the Game Ties Series in Double OT
- Colorado Avalanche v. St. Louis Blues – Game 4 – 5p ET
- In St. Louis with the Blues looking to survive to play another game against the Colorado Avalanche, it would be Vladimir Tarasenko in the second period to give the Blues the 1-0 lead. However, later in the second Brandon Saad would tie the game at one, and then Gabriel Landeskog would score for the Avs to take the lead. Then in the third period Tarasenko would net his second of the game for the Blues, but Mikko Rantanen, Nathan MacKinnon, and Valeri Nichushkin would all score to give the Avalanche the 5-2 victory and the four game sweep over the Blues.
Russell’s TXHT Recap – Avs Overpower Blues for Sweep
- Boston Bruins v. Washington Capitals – Game 5 – 7p ET
- Back in Washington for game five the Washington Capitals look to stay alive as they host the Boston Bruins, and after a scoreless period David Pastrnak and Patrice Bergeron would score to give the B’s the 2-0 lead. Then 11 seconds into the third period Conor Sheary would strike for the Caps, but Bergeron’s second of the game would give the Bruins the 3-1 victory and eliminate the Capitals with the 4-1 series victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Winnipeg Jets – Game 3 – 730p ET
- In Winnipeg for the game three the Edmonton Oilers would get the jump on the Jets as Leon Draisaitl would score two goals in the first period to give the Oilers the 2-0 lead. In the second period Nikolaj Ehlers would score for the Jets, but Zack Kassian would score to keep the Oilers ahead by two. Then in the third period Jujhar Khaira would score to give the Oilers the 4-1 lead. Mathieu Perreault would strike on the powerplay for the Jets, and then Blake Wheeler and Josh Morrissey would strike to tie the game at four to send the game to overtime. Then in overtime Ehlers would net his second of the game to give the Jets the 5-4 victory and take the 3-0 series lead over the Oilers.
- Dickson’s TXHT Recap –Jets Up 3-0 After Ehlers OT Winner
- NYI v. PIT – Game 5 – 7p ET
- MON v. TOR – Game 3 – 7p ET
- TB v. FLA – Game 5 – 8p ET
- EDM v. WIN – Game 4 – 945p ET
- VGK v. MIN – Game 5 – 1030p ET