NHL News and Notes from Saturday, May 8th, 2021
- New York Rangers v. Boston Bruins – 3p ET
- In Boston the Bruins and New York Rangers would faceoff with playoff seeding on the line for the B’s. After a scoreless first period K’Andre Miller would score for the Rangers, but Nick Ritchie would score to tie the game. Then in the third period David Pastrnak would score to give the Bruins the 2-1 lead, but goals from Mika Zibanejad (two goals), Alexis Lafreniere, and Vitali Kravtsov would give the Rangers the 5-4 victory. Brad Marchand would score for the Bruins after giving up three unanswered goals, and Patrice Bergeron would score the fourth goal for the B’s in the loss. Zibanejad’s second of the game would become the game winner and the 200th career goal for him.
- Buffalo Sabres v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 3p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Buffalo Sabres would come to town to take on the Penguins. After a scoreless first period Jeff Carter would strike to give the Penguins the 1-0 victory.
- Ottawa Senators v. Winnipeg Jets – 7p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would host the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Connor Brown and Tim Stutzle would score to give the Sens the 2-0 lead. In the second period Mason Appleton would score to bring the Jets back within one. Then in the third period Mark Scheifele would score for the Jets, but a pair of goals by Stutzle to complete the hat trick would give the Senators the 4-2 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- In the potential final regular season game at Nassau Coliseum, the New York Islanders would host the New Jersey Devils. In the first period Jordan Eberle would score to give the Isles the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Andreas Johnsson would score for the Devils, but a pair of goals from Brock Nelson would give the Isles the two goal lead. In the third period Kyle Palmieri and Mathew Barzal would score to give the Islanders the 5-1 victory over the Devils.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington the Capitals would face off with the Philadelphia Flyers for the final time this season, and after forty minutes of scoreless hockey it would be Scott Laughton to break the scoreless tie for the Flyers. Then in the final minute of regulation Lars Eller would score to tie the game at one and send the game to overtime. In overtime Conor Sheary with one minute left as he would get a slippery five hole goal to give the Capitals 2-1 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In their second to last regular season game against each other before their first round playoff series, the Florida Panthers would play host to the Tampa Bay Lightning, and in the first period Alexander Wennberg would score for the Panthers to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Luke Schenn would score for Tampa, but goals from Sam Bennett, Wennberg, and Jonathan Huberdeau would give the Panthers a commanding three goal lead. Then in the third period Wennberg would complete the hat trick to give the Panthers the 5-1 victory over the Lightning.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would play host to the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Jakub Vrana would open the scoring for the Wings, but Cam Atkinson would score to tie the game at one. In the second period Danny DeKeyser would score for the Wings while Oliver Bjorkstrand would score for the Jackkets as this game would remain tied. Then in the third period Sam Gagner and Valtteri Filppula would score for the Wings, but goals from Eric Robinson and Jack Roslovic would keep this game tied and to overtime where Max Domi would strike to give the Blue Jackets the 5-4 overtime victory.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto for Hockey Night in Canada the Maple Leafs would host the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Brett Kulak would score to give the Habs the 1-0 lead. In the second period Nick Suzuki would score for the Habs, but goals from Pierre Engvall, William Nylander, and Mitch Marner would give the Leafs the 3-2 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators look to clinch a playoff spot in the Central as they take on the division champion Carolina Hurricanes. After a scoreless first period Luke Kunin would break the scoreless tie for the Preds. Then in the third period Morgan Geekie would score for the Canes, but Kunin’s second of the game and Erik Haula’s tally would give the Predators the 3-1 victory to clinch a spot in the playoffs.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would host the Anaheim Ducks in Ryan Miller’s last NHL game. In the first period Rickard Rakell would strike first for the Ducks, but a powerplay tally from Jared Spurgeon would tie the game at one for the Wild. In the second period Ryan Hartman and Nick Bonino would score for the Wild to take the two goal lead. Then in the third period Trevor Zegras and Max Comtois would score for the Ducks to tie the game and send it to overtime. In the extra frame Victor Rask would score to give the Wild the 4-3 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas the Golden Knights would host the St. Louis Blues, and in the first period Reilly Smith and Chandler Stephenson would score to give the Knights the 2-0 lead. In the second, Colton Parayko gets the Blues on the board with his second goal of the season. In the third, Smith notches a pair of goals to complete the hat trick as Vegas gets the 4-1 win over the Blues.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In Los Angeles the Colorado Avalanche would come to town to take on the Kings. In the first period Devon Toews and Cale Makar would score to give the Avs the 2-0 lead, but Sean Walker would score to bring the Kings back within one. In the second, Toews would score his second of the night to give Colorado the 3-1 lead. In the third, Rasmus Kupari scores for Los Angeles but the comeback is not enough as the Avs down the Kings 3-2.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- In Edmonton the focus would be on Connor McDavid as he aims to reach 100 points as the Oilers host the Vancouver Canucks. In the first period McDavid would strike for his 32nd of the season to give the Oilers the 1-0 lead. In the second, Edmonton would take the 2-0 lead when Jesse Puljujarvi scores. Vancouver gets a pair of goals when J.T. Miller and Travis Boyd score to tie the game 2-2. Edmonton re-takes the lead when Leon Draisaitl nets his 29th on the year but Vancouver ties the game once more when Tyler Graovac scores. Edmonton makes it a 4-3 game when Draisaitl nets his second of the game and McDavid secures the 100 point mark on the season with his fourth point in the game. With no goals scored in the third, Edmonton gets the 4-3 win over Vancouver.
- Arizona Coyotes v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- In San Jose the Sharks would host the Arizona Coyotes, and in the first period Christian Dvorak would strike for the Coyotes to take the 1-0 lead, but Rudolfs Balcers would score to tie the game at one for the Sharks. Dvorak scores his second of the night to give Arizona the 2-1 lead but the Sharks respond when Kevin Labanc makes it a 2-2 game. In the second, San Jose takes the lead when Timo Meier scores but Arizona ties the game with a goal by Jan Jenik scores. In the third, Arizona re-takes the lead when Conor Garland scores but San Jose responds when Alexander Barbanov ties it up a 4 a piece. In overtime, Phil Kessel scores the game winner as the Coyotes get the 5-4 win over the Sharks.
- DAL v. CHI – 7p ET
- OTT v. CAL – 8p ET