NHL News and Notes from Friday, May 7th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that Vancouver Canucks forward Zack MacEwen has been suspended.
- MacEwen was suspended for one game for kneeing defenseman Darnell Nurse of the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday night.
- MacEwen will forfeit $7,112.07 in salary per the terms of the CBA.
- Dallas Stars v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning would host the Dallas Stars, and in the first period Jamie Oleksiak would score to give the Stars the 1-0 lead. In the second period Blake Coleman would score for the Bolts, but a pair of goals from Joe Pavelski and a tally from Roope Hintz would give the Stars the three goal lead. In the third period Alex Barre-Boulet would score for the Lightning, but Joel Kiviranta would score to give Dallas the 5-2 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In Washington the Philadelphia Flyers would take on the Capitals in the first of their final back to back. In the first period both teams would trade goals as Joel Farabee and Daniel Sprong would score for their teams. Then in the second period Wade Allison would net a pair of goals to give the Flyers the 3-1 lead, but TJ Oshie would score to bring the Caps back within one. However in the third period Sean Couturier would hit the empty net to give the Flyers the 4-2 victory.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Blue Jackets would host the Detroit Red Wings. In the first period Gavin Bayreuther would score to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Nathan Gerbe would score for Columbus but goals from Joe Veleno, Danny DeKeyser, and Jakub Vrana would give the Wings the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Vladislav Namestnikov would score a pair of goals to give the Red Wings the 5-2 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- In Minnesota the Anaheim Ducks would come to town to see if they could tame the Wild, and in the first period Max Comtois would strike first for the Ducks, but goals from Victor Rask and Nico Sturm would give the Wild the 2-1 lead. In the second period Adam Henrique would score for the Ducks to tie the game at two. In the third, Minnesota takes the 3-2 lead when Joel Eriksson Ek scores but Anaheim responds when Derek Grant makes it a 3-3 game. In Overtime, Kirill Kaprizov scores to give the Wild the 4-3 win over the Ducks.
- St. Louis Blues v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the St. Louis Blues look to clinch their spot in the 2021 Stanley Cup playoffs. In the first, Vegas takes the 1-0 lead when Reilly Smith scores his 11th on the season. St. Louis ties the game when Ryan O’Reilly nets his 24th of the season. In the second, St. Louis makes it a 3-1 lead when David Perron nets his 16th and Jaden Schwartz scores his seventh. Vegas comes within a goal when Alec Martinez scores his ninth on the season. In the third, Nicolas Roy scores his sixth to tie the game 3-3. In Overtime, Vegas gets the 4-3 win with a Jonathan Marchessault goal, his 17th.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Avs look to breeze by the Kings. In the first, Los Angeles takes the 1-0 lead with a Brendan Lemeiux goal. Colorado ties it up when Mikko Rantanen scores his 30th. In the second, Colorado makes it a 3-1 game when Tyson Jost and Cale Makar both score. In the third, Gabriel Vilardi scores for the Kings but the Avs escape with the 3-2 win.
- Arizona Coyotes v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks look to take a bite out of the Coyotes. In the first, San Jose takes the 1-0 lead with a Erik Karlsson goal. In the second, San Jose takes the 2-0 lead when Timo Meier scores but Arizona responds when Victor Soderstrom and Conor Garland score to make it a 2-2 game. In the third, Arizona gets three goals when Phil Kessel, Michael Bunting, and Jan Jenig score as the Coyotes get the 5-2 win over the Sharks.
- OTT v. WIN – 7p ET
- NYR v. BOS – 7p ET
- NJ v. NYI – 7p ET
- PHI v. WAS – 7p ET
- TB v. FLA – 7p ET
- BUF v. PIT – 7p ET
- DET v. CLB – 7p ET
- MON v. TOR – 7p ET
- CAR v. NAS – 8p ET
- ANA v. MIN – 8p ET
- STL v. VGK – 10p ET
- COL v. LA – 10p ET
- VAN v. EDM – 10p ET
- ARI v. SJ – 10:30p ET