NHL News and Notes from April 24th, 2021
- New Jersey Devils v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 12:30p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would host the New Jersey Devils, and in the first period Jeff Carter and Jared McCann would score to give the Pens the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Jack Hughes would score for the Devils, but Bryan Rust would score to keep the Pens in the two goal lead. In the third period Miles would would strike for the Devils, but Sidney Crosby’s 20th of the season would give the Penguins the 4-2 victory.
- Colorado Avalanche v. St. Louis Blues – 3p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would take on the Colorado Avalanche, and in the first period Cale Makar and Gabriel Landeskog would score for the Avs, but a pair of goals from Ryan O’Reilly and a tally from Ivan Barbashev would give the Blues the 3-2 lead. In the second period Nathan MacKinnon would score to tie the game at three, but in the third period Mike Hoffman would score and O’Reilly would complete the hat trick to give the Blues the 5-3 victory over the Avalanche.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Calgary Flames – 7p ET
- In Calgary the Flames would host the Montreal Canadiens, and in the first period Nick Suzuki would strike first for the Habs, but Johnny Gaudreau would score for the Flames to tie the game at one. In the second period Tyler Toffoli would score for the Habs, but a goal from Milan Lucic and Gaudreau’s second of the game would give the Flames the 3-2 lead. Then in the third period Brett Ritchie and Rasmus Andersson would score to give the Flames the 5-2 victory over the Canadiens.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Winnipeg Jets – 7p ET
- In Winnipeg the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Jets would do battle, and in the first period Nikolaj Ehlers would strike 39 seconds into the game for the Jets, but goals from Joe Thornton and Mitch Marner would give the Leafs the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period John Tavares would score, and in the third period Alexander Kerfoot would score to give the Maple Leafs the 4-1 victory.
- Washington Capitals v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island for their second of three games, the Washington Capitals would return to face the New York Islanders. In the first period Garnet Hathaway and TJ Oshie would strike early to give the Caps the 2-0 lead, but Anthony Beauvillier would strike for the Isles to bring them back within one. In the second period Adam Pelech and Jean-Gabriel Pageau would score for the Isles, but tallies from Nic Dowd and Daniel Sprong would give the Caps the 4-3 lead. Then in the third period Evgeny Kuznetsov would score and Sprong’s second of the game would give the Capitals the 6-3 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would host the Carolina Hurricanes, and in the first period Dougie Hamilton would score for the Canes, and Marcus Weegar would strike for the Panthers to tie the game at one. In the second period Hamilton would net his second of the game to give the Canes the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Brett Pesce would score for the Canes, but goals from Gustav Forsling and Alex Wennberg would tie the game at three for the Panthers, and then in overtime Aleksander Barkov would score to complete the comeback and give the Panthers the 4-3 victory.
- Dallas Stars v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Detroit the Dallas Stars would come to town to take on the Red Wings, and in the first period Dennis Cholowski would score to give the Wings the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Mark Pysyk would score to tie the game at one, and then in overtime Jamie Benn would score to give the Stars the 2-1 victory.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. Anaheim Ducks – 9p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks would breakout the Wild Wing jerseys as they host the Vegas Golden Knights. In the first period Chandler Stephenson would net a pair of goals to give the Knights the two goal lead. Then in the second period William Carrier would score to grow the Knights lead to three. In the third, Sam Steel nets his fifth to get Anaheim on the board. William Karlsson nets his 12th as the Golden Knights retake the three goal lead and Shea Theodore nets his seventh as Vegas breezes by the Ducks with the 5-1 win.
- Minnesota Wild v. San Jose Sharks – 9p ET
- In San Jose the Sharks and Minnesota Wild would do battle, and in the first period the Wild would get goals from Ryan Suter, Marcus Foligno, and Jared Spurgeon to take a 3-0 lead. Then in the second period the Wild would grow their lead to four with a tally from Kevin Fiala. In the third, Logan Couture nets his 15th as San Jose cuts the Wild lead to three. Kirill Kaprizov nets his 22nd to give the Wild the 5-1 lead. Evander Kane nets his 18th and Joachim Blichfeld nets his first goal of the season to cut the Wild lead to two. Nick Bonino nets his seventh to seal the win for the Wild as they double up the Sharks 6-3.
- Ottawa Senators v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver the Ottawa Senators would battle with the Canucks. In the first period Nate Schmidt would score for the Canucks, but Colin White would score for the Sens to tie the game at one. In the second, Brock Boeser nets his 17th to give the Canucks the lead once again. In the third, Ottawa ties the game when Evgenii Dadonov nets his 13th. Vancouver retakes the lead when Tanner Pearson nets his ninth and J.T. Miller nets his 10th as the Canucks get the 4-2 win over the Senators.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In Los Angeles the Kings would take on the Arizona Coyotes, and in the first period John Hayden would score his first goal of the season to give the Coyotes the 1-0 lead. In the second, Lawson Crouse nets his fourth goal of the year 36 seconds into the period to give the Coyotes the 2-0 lead. As the contest shifts to the third, Jakob Chychrun nets his 14th to give Arizona a 3-0 lead. Phil Kessel goes on to net his 17th as the Coyotes shutout the Kings with the 4-0 win.
- BOS v. PIT – 3p ET
- NJ v. PHI – 6p ET
- BUF v. NYR – 6p ET
- CLB v. TB – 7p ET