NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, April 20th, 2021
- Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres – 6:30p ET
- In Buffalo the Sabres would take on the Boston Bruins. In the first period Brad Marchand would strike first to give the B’s the 1-0 lead, and then in the second period Connor Clifton would score his first of the season to grow Boston’s lead to two. In the third period the Bruins would hold the Sabres scoreless to take the 2-0 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In Pittsburgh the Penguins would host the New Jersey Devils and in the first period Mike Matheson, Bryan Rust, Brian Dumoulin, and Jeff Carter would score to give the Pens the 4-0 lead. Then in the second period Teddy Blueger and Evan Rodrigues would score to grow the Pens lead to six. In the third period the Devils would mount a comeback as Nico Hischier, Yegor Sharangovich, Nathan Bastian, Jack Hughes, Nolan Foote, and Andreas Johnsson would score, but Sidney Crosby’s 18th of the season would give the Penguins the 7-6 victory.
- New York Rangers v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island for another Battle of New York, the Islanders would host the Rangers, and in the first period Josh Baily would strike first to give the Isles the 1-0 lead. In the second period Kevin Rooney would score for the Rangers, but goals from Brock Nelson and Anthony Beauvillier would give the Isles the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Bailey would net his second of the game and Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Jordan Eberle would strike to give the Islanders the 6-1 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning and Carolina Hurricanes would do battle once again, and after a scoreless first period Brayden Point would score for the Bolts, but tallies from Nino Niederreiter, Jordan Staal, and Steven Lorentz to give the Canes the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Jordan Martinook would strike to give the Hurricanes the 4-1 victory.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would faceoff with the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period Jack Roslovic would strike for the Jackets, but tallies from Aleksander Barkov and Sam Bennett would give the Panthers the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Bennett’s second of the game and goals from Ryan Lomberg and Jonathan Huberdeau would give the Panthers the 5-1 victory.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas the Stars and Detroit Red Wings would do battle once again, and in the first period Tanner Kero, Jason Robertson, and Joe Pavelski would score to give the Stars the 3-0 lead. Then in the second period Jamie Oleksiak would score to grow Dallas’ lead to four, but Valtteri Filppula would score to bring the Wings back within three. In the third, Dylan Larkin brings the Red Wings within two but Blake Comeau seals the win for Dallas as the Stars down the Red Wings 5-2.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Vancouver Canucks – 9p ET
- In Vancouver the Toronto Maple Leafs look to bounce back against the Canucks, and in the first period John Tavares would score to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. In the second, Vancouver gets a pair of goals when Brandon Sutter and Quinn Hughes score to take the 2-1 lead. Then Toronto ties the game when Tavares gets his second goal of the night. Then in the third, Adam Brooks scores his second of the year to give the Maple Leafs the lead once again. Vancouver then responds with four unanswered goals when Nils Hoglander nets his ninth, Tanner Pearson nets two goals, and Sutter nets his second of the night. Vancouver goes on to double up the Maple Leafs with the 6-3 win.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In Los Angeles, the Kings look to knock down the Ducks and in the first Carl Gundstrom nets his sixth to give the Kings the 1-0 lead. In the second, Anze Kopitar nets his 10th and Andreas Athanasiou nets his 10th as the Kings take the 3-0 lead. In the third, Blake Lizotte nets his third to give the Kings the 4-0 lead and Anaheim will respond when they get on the board when Cam Fowler nets his fourth of the season. The Kings will go on to get the 4-1 win over the Anaheim Ducks.
- Colorado Avalanche v. St. Louis Blues – Postponed
- NAS v. CHI – 7p ET
- MIN v. ARI – 9p ET
- SJ v. VGK – 9:30p ET
- MON v. EDM – 10p ET