NHL News and Notes from Saturday, April 10th, 2021
- The San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche made a trade.
- The Avs would receive goaltender Devan Dubnyk.
- The Sharks would receive defenseman Greg Pateryn, and a 2021 5th Round Draft Pick.
- The Florida Panthers and Buffalo Sabres would also make a trade.
- The Panthers would pick up defenseman Brandon Montour.
- The Sabres would acquire a 2021 3rd Round Draft Pick.
- There was a three way trade between the Columbus Blue Jackets, Detroit Red Wings, and Tampa Bay Lightning.
- It’s complicated so here’s Pierre LeBrun of TSN with the best explanation of everything.
- Florida Panthers v. Dallas Stars – 2p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would play host to the Florida Panthers, and in the first period the Stars would strike fast as Jason Robertson and Joel L’Esperance would score in the opening two minutes to give Dallas the 2-0 lead. Then later in the period Jamie Benn would strike to grow the Stars lead to three, but in the second period Aleksander Barkov would score to get the Panthers on the board with two seconds left in the period. In the third period Robertson would score his second of the game to give the Stars the 4-1 victory.
- Boston Bruins v. Philadelphia Flyers – 2p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would play host to the Boston Bruins. In the first period Patrice Bergeron would strike for the B’s first, but tallies from Travis Konecny and Shayne Gostisbehere would give the Flyers the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Jake DeBrusk would score to tie the game at two, but in the third period Sean Couturier would score to give the Flyers the 3-2 victory.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would embrace the spirit of the Hartford Whalers as they took on the Detroit Red Wings. In the first period Dylan Larkin and Anthony Mantha would strike for the Wings, but goals from Martin Necas and Jordan Staal would get the Canes on the board to tie the game at two. In the second period Dougie Hamilton would score to give the Canes the lead, but Valtteri Filppula would score for the Wings to tie the game at three. In the third period Adam erne would net his 10th of the season to give the Red Wings the 4-3 lead, but Sebastian Aho would strike to tie the game at four and send the game to overtime. After a scoreless extra frame, it would be Erne with the winner in the seventh round to give the Red Wings the 5-4 victory.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Chicago Blackhawks would come to town to face the Blue Jackets, and in the first period both teams would get a pair of goals as Alex DeBrincat and Carl Soderberg would score for Chicago, and Michael Del Zotto and Cam Atkinson would strike for the Jackets. Then in the second period Wyatt Kalynuk and Dylan Strome would score to give the Blackhawks the 4-2 lead. In the third period Patrik Laine would strike for the Jackets, but the Blackhawks would hold on to win 4-3.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the Winnipeg Jets, and after a scoreless first period Paul Stastny, Nikolaj Ehlers, and Dereck Forbort would score to give the Jets the 3-0 lead. Then in the third period Andrew Copp and Mathieu Perreault would score to give the Jets the 5-0 victory.
- Ottawa Senators v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators would do battle, and in the first period Auston Matthews would net a pair of goals to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Drake Batherson, Alex Formenton, and Tim Stutzle would score for the Sens, but Mitch Marner would strike and Matthews would complete the hat trick to give the Leafs the 4-3 lead. In the third period Connor Brown and Josh Norris would score for the Sens, but Ilya Mikheyev and Zach Hyman would strike to give the Maple Leafs the 6-5 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Tampa Bay Lightning would come to town to take on the Predators. In the first period Ross Colton would score to give the Bolts the 1-0 lead. In the second period Erik Cernak would score to grow the Bolts lead to two. In the third, Yanni Gourde nets his 14th goal to give the Lightning the 3-0 win over the Predators.
- Minnesota Wild v. St. Louis Blues – 8p ET
- In St. Louis the Blues would look to tame the Minnesota Wild, but in the first period Nico Sturm would strike first for the Wild to take the 1-0 lead. In the second period Mike Hoffman would score for the Blues, but Matt Dumba would score to regain the one goal lead for the Wild. In the third, Hoffman nets his second goal of the night to tie the game and in Overtime Ryan O’Reilly nets his 17th goal with two seconds left to give the Blues the 3-2 win over the Wild.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In the Battle of Alberta VIII on the season, after a scoreless first, the Flames get four goals when Sean Monahan, Johnny Gaudreau, Elias Lindholm, and Mark Giordano all score to take the 4-0 lead. In the third, Brett Ritchie nets his second goal as the Flames take the eighth game in the Battle of Alberta.
- Los Angeles Kings v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Kings look to down the Sharks and in the first period Jeff Carter gives the KIngs the 1-0 lead. San Jose responds when Dylan Gambrell nets his fifth of the season. In the second, Andreas Athanasiou, Alex Iafallo, and Dustin Brown all score to give the Kings the 4-1 lead. In the third, Timo Meier scores to bring the Sharks within two but it is not enough as the Kings double up the Sharks with the 4-2 win.
- BUF v. PHI – 2p ET
- ARI v. VGK – 4p ET
- COL v. ANA – 6p ET
- PIT v. NJ – 7p ET
- NYR v. NYI – 7p ET
- WAS v. BOS – 7p ET
- DAL v. NAS – 8p ET