NHL News and Notes from Monday, March 22nd, 2021
- Calle Jarnkrok of the Nashville Predators was named First Star of the Week by the NHL.
- Dr. Alex Jahangir would be named the Frontline worker of the week.
- Connor McDavid (EDM) and Mika Zibanejad (NYR) would round out the rest of the Three Stars.
- NHL Stars of the Week – Jarnkrok Powers Preds for Top Honors
- Buffalo Sabres v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers would host the Buffalo Sabres, and after a scoreless first period Rasmus Asplund would opening the scoring for the Sabres, but goals from Kaapo Kakko, Chris Kreider, and Adam Fox would give the Rangers the 3-1 lead. Then in the third period Dylan Cozens and Jeff Skinner would score to tie the game at three, but Krieder and Kakko’s second of the game for each player would give the Rangers the 5-3 victory.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Columbus Blue Jackets – 7p ET
- In Columbus the Carolina Hurricanes would come to town to take on the Blue Jackets. In the first period Brady Skjei would strike for the 1-0 Canes lead. Then in the second period Jesper Fast and Martin Necas would score to give the Hurricanes the 3-0 victory over the Blue Jackets.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- Calgary Flames v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Senators look to cool down the Calgary Flames, and in the first period Ryan Dzingel would score to give the Sens the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period, Johnny Gaudreau would score to tie the game at one, but moments later Chris Tierney would score to give the Senators the 2-1 victory.
- New York Islanders v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- In Philadelphia the Flyers would take on the New York Islanders. After a scoreless first period Oskar Lindblom would strike to give the Flyers the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Oliver Wahlstrom would score to tie the game, and then in overtime Anthony Beauvillier would strike to give the Islanders the 2-1 victory.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Minnesota Wild – 7:30p ET
- In Minnesota the Wild would host the Anaheim Ducks, and after a scoreless first period Troy Terry would score for the Ducks, and then Ryan Suter would strike to tie the game at one. Then in the third period Nick Bjugstad would strike for his fifth of the season to give the Wild the 2-1 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas the Golden Knights look to bring the blues to St. Louis. In the first, Vegas gets on the board when Jonathan Marchessault nets his ninth goal on the season. In the second, St. Louis ties the game when Vince Dunn gets his fifth goal of the season. In the third, Vegas gets a pair of goals to make it a 3-1 lead when Mark Stone and Keegan Kolesar score. The goal for Kolesar is his first goal in the NHL. Vegas extends the lead to 4-1 when William Karlsson nets his eighth goal on the season at 14:56. Stone scores his second goal of the night as the Golden Knights breeze by the Blues for the 5-1 win.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Jets face off against the Canucks. Winnipeg gets on the board in the first when Blake Wheeler scores his ninth goal of the season. In the third, Adam Lowry gets a pair of goals to extend the Jets lead to 3-0. At 17:00, Paul Stastny gets his 10th goal of the season as the Jets seal the shutout, beating the Canucks 4-0.
- Colorado Avalanche v. Arizona Coyotes – 10p ET
- In Glendale, the Coyotes look to get back on the winning track when they face off against Colorado. In the first period, Colorado gets two goals when Pierre-Edouard Bellemare and Mikko Rantanen score to take the 2-0 lead. In the second, Colorado takes the 3-0 lead when Nazem Kadri nets his 10th goal on the season. In the third, Oliver Ekman-Larsson gets the Coyotes on the board with his first goal of the season but Colorado gets a pair of goals from Joonas Donskoi as the Avs breeze by the Coyotes with a 5-1 win.
- Los Angeles Kings v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Sharks look to knock off the Kings. In the first, San Jose gets on the board when Logan Couture nets his 14th goal on the season to take the 1-0 lead. In the second, Matt Roy nets his first goal on the season to tie the game for the Kings. In the third, San Jose takes the 2-1 lead when Ryan Donato scores his fifth goal of the season. The Sharks go on to down the Kings with the 2-1 win.
- NJ v. PHI – 7p ET
- NYI v. BOS – Postponed
- FLA v. CHI – 8p ET
- DET v. NAS – 8p ET
- TB v. DAL – 8:30p ET
- COL v. ARI – 10p ET