NHL News and Notes from Saturday, March 20th, 2021
- The Buffalo Sabres and the Colorado Avalanche made a trade.
- Colorado acquired goaltender Jonas Johansson.
- Buffalo acquired a 2021 6th Round Pick.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New Jersey Devils – 1p ET
- In New Jersey the Devils would look to tame the Pittsburgh Penguins, and in the first period Kyle Palmieri would strike to give the Devils the 1-0 lead. However, in the final forty minutes it would be all Pens as they would get second period tallies from Zach Aston-Reese and Bryan Rust to take the 2-1 lead. Then in the third period Jake Guentzel would score to give the Penguins the 3-1 victory.
- Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres – 1p ET
- Nashville Predators v. Florida Panthers – 2p ET
- In Florida the Nashville Predators would look to take down the Panthers, but after a scoreless first period Aleksander Barkov would strike for the game winner in the Panthers 2-0 victory. Anthony Duclair would record the empty netter late in the third to secure the victory for Florida.
- Minnesota Wild v. Colorado Avalanche – 3p ET
- In Colorado the Minnesota Wild would take on the Avalanche, and in the first period it would be all Avs as they would get goals from Cale Makar and Gabriel Landeskog to take the 2-0 lead. Then in second period Mikko Rantanen, Tyson Jost, and Devon Toews would score to grow the Avs lead to five. In the third period Valeri Nichushkin would seal the deal to give the Avalanche the 6-0 shutout victory over the Wild.
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 4p ET
- The Chicago Blackhawks would come to Tampa Bay to take on the Lightning, and in the first period Brayden Point would score to give the Bolts the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period goals from Anthony Cirelli, Yanni Gourde, and Steven Stamkos would grow the Bolts lead to four. In the third period Alex DeBrincat would score for the Blackhawks, but the Lightning would hold on to win 4-1.
- New York Rangers v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- In the Nation’s Capital, the Washington Capitals would host the New York Rangers for the second game of their back to back series. In the first period Pavel Buchnevich would strike late to give the Rangers the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period John Carlson would score to tie the game at one, but late goals from Mika Zibanejad and Brett Howden would secure the 3-1 victory for the Rangers over the Capitals.
Michael’s TXHT Recap – Similar Script, Different Result
- Philadelphia Flyers v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- On Long Island the Philadelphia Flyers would come to town to face the Islanders, and in the first period the Isles would strike early and often as they would get tallies from Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Jordan Eberle, and a pair of goals from Casey Cizikas to take the 4-0 lead. However, late in the first Joel Farabee would score for the Flyers to cut the Isles lead to three. After a scoreless second period Anthony Beauvillier and Josh Bailey would net goals to give the Islanders the dominate 6-1 victory over the Flyers.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Hurricanes would look to dispatch of the Columbus Blue Jackets, and after a scoreless first period Andrei Svechnikov would strike to give the Canes the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Warren Foegele would score for the Canes, but tallies from Oliver Bjorkstrand and Seth Jones would tie the game and send it to overtime. After a scoreless extra frame, the game would require the shootout, and it would be Bjorkstrand with the winner for the Blue Jackets to take the 3-2 victory over the Hurricanes.
- Dallas Stars v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Detroit the Dallas Stars and Red Wings would do battle once again. After a scoreless first period Tanner Kero would score to give the Stars the 1-0 lead. then in the third period Andrej Sekera and Ty Dellandrea would score to give the Stars the 3-0 victory over the Red Wings.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would host the Vancouver Canucks, and in the first period Nick Suzuki would strike on the powerplay to give the Habs the 1-0 lead. In the second period both teams would trade tallies as Jake Virtanen and Brock Boeser would score for the Canucks, and Tomas Tatar and Joel Edmundson would score for the Habs to keep their one goal lead. In the third period Brendan Gallagher would score for the Habs, but tallies from Bo Horvat and Tyler Motte in the opening minute of the period would tie the game at 4 and send the game to overtime. After the extra frame couldn’t decide the winner, Tomas Tatar would score the winner in the shootout to give the Canadiens the 5-4 victory over the Canucks.
- Calgary Flames v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto for Hockey Night in Canada, the Maple Leafs would look to cool off the Calgary Flames, and in the first period Jason Spezza’s late tally would give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. then in the second period Zach Hyman would net his 11th of the season to give the Maple Leafs the 2-0 victory over the Flames.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Anaheim Ducks – 8p ET
- In Anaheim the Ducks look to stomp the Coyotes. In the first period, Arizona gets three goals when Derick Brassard gets a pair of goals and Jakob Chychrun score to take the 3-0 lead. In the second period, Brassard secures the hat trick just 36 seconds into the period. In the third period, Clayton Keller scores his 10th goal on the season to give the Coyotes the commanding 5-0 lead. Anaheim gets on the board when Adam Henrique nets his ninth goal of the season. Arizona cruises by the Ducks to get the 5-1 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. San Jose Sharks – 9p ET
- In San Jose, the Blues and Sharks face off for the final time in the regular season. In the first period, San Jose gets on the board when Dylan Gambrell gets his second goal of the season. St. Louis gets a pair of goals when Vince Dunn and Jordan Kyrou score to give the Blues the 2-1 lead. In the second, San Jose ties the game when Tomas Hertl gets his eighth goal of the season. In the third, Ryan O’Reilly, Kyrou and David Perron all score as the Blues win the game 5-2.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Edmonton Oilers – 10p ET
- In Edmonton the Jets look to down the Oilers. In the first period, Winnipeg gets a pair of goals when Andrew Copp and Pierre-Luc Dubois score to get the 2-0 lead. Edmonton gets on the board when Connor McDavid gets his 21st goal of the season. After a scoreless second period, Edmonton gets three goals when Darnell Nurse, Leon Draisaitl, and Devon Shore all score to give the Oilers the 4-2 lead and win over the Jets.
- NJ v. PIT – 1p ET
- FLA v. TB – 4p ET
- VGK v. LA – 6p ET
- NAS v. DAL – 8:30p ET