NHL News and Notes from Friday, March 4th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that defenseman Brett Pesce of the Carolina Hurricanes has been fined for Slew Footing forward Robby Fabbri of the Detroit Red Wings.
- Pesce would be fined $5000 for the dangerous trip that happened on Thursday night.
- The fine was the max allowed per the CBA.
- It is with great sadness that Walter Gretzky, Wayne Gretzky’s father, has passed away at the age of 82.
- The Calgary Flames relieved Geoff Ward of his duties as head coach and announced that Darryl Sutter has been hired as head coach.
- This will be Sutter’s second stint as head coach of the Flames.
- Sutter led the Flames to the 2004 Stanley Cup Final, and won two Stanley Cups with Los Angeles in 2012 and 2014.
- Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook has announced his retirement from the game of hockey due to injuries.
- Seabrook spent his entire 15 year career with the Blackhawks where he would win three Stanley Cups.
Shaggy’s TXHT Article – After 15 NHL Seasons, Brent Seabrook Hangs Up His Skates
- Washington Capitals v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- In Boston, the Capitals look to extend their lead in the division over the Bruins. In the first period, Boston opens the scoring when Brad Marchand gets his 11th goal of the season. In the second period, Boston gets goals from Trent Frederic, his third, Patrice Bergeron, his ninth, and Marchand’s second goal of the night to give the Bruins the 4-0 lead. As the contest moves to the third period, Boston takes a 5-0 lead when Nick Ritchie gets his eighth goal of the season. Washington gets on the board when Jakub Vrana gets his eighth goal of the season. Boston breezes by the Capitals with the 5-1 win.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In the Windy City, Chicago looks to bounce back in the win column. In the first period, Anthony Cirelli gets his seventh goal of the season to give the Bolts the 1-0 lead. Tampa Bay takes the 2-0 lead with an Alex Killorn goal, his fifth of the season. Chicago gets on the board when Alex DeBrincat gets his 13th goal of the season. In the second period, DeBrincat ties the game with his second goal of the night. In the third period, Tampa Bay retakes the lead when Ryan McDonagh gets his second goal of the season and Chicago ties the game again when Dominik Kubalik gets his ninth goal of the season. After a scoreless overtime session, the game goes to a shootout. Chicago gets the win in the third round when Phillip Kurashev scores and the Hawks go on to get the 4-3 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- St. Louis Blues v. Los Angeles Kings – 9p ET
- In the City of Angels, the Blues look to stop the Los Angeles Kings. In the first period, David Perron gets his eighth goal of the season to give the Blues the 1-0 lead. In the second period, Los Angeles ties the game 1-1 when Jeff Carter gets his fifth goal of the season. In the third period, Dustin Brown scores 37 seconds in to give the Kings the 2-1 lead. St. Louis ties the game when Perron gets his second goal of the evening. In Overtime, Mike Hoffman gets his seventh goal of the season to give the Blues the 3-2 in overtime over the Kings.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Denver, the Avalanche look to feast on Duck soup. In the first period, Anaheim gets the 1-0 lead when Adam Henrique gets his fifth goal of the season. In the second period, Anaheim gets the 2-0 lead with a Jakob Silfverberg goal, his fifth. Colorado gets on the board when Valeri Nichushkin gets his third goal of the season. Brandon Saad ties the game for the Avs with his seventh goal of the season. After a scoreless third, the contest goes to overtime. In the Overtime session, the Avalanche get the 3-2 win when Valeri Nichushkin gets his second goal of the evening.
- Minnesota Wild v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Glendale, Minnesota looks to down the Coyotes and in the first period, Mats Zuccarello gets the Wild on the board with his fourth goal of the season. Minnesota gets the 2-0 lead when Brad Hunt gets his first goal of the season and Nick Bjugstad gives the Wild the 3-0 lead. In the second period, Jordan Greenway gives the Wild a four goal lead with his fourth goal of the season. In the third period, Arizona gets on the board with Clayton Keller’s eighth goal of the season. Minnesota clinches the win with Kevin Fiala’s seventh goal of the season as the Wild get the 5-1 win over the Arizona Coyotes.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Golden Knights look to down the Sharks. In the first period, Reilly Smith gets the Golden Knights on the board with his fourth goal of the season. Vegas gets the 2-0 lead when Chandler Stephenson gets his seventh goal of the season. In the second period, Max Pacioretty gets his 11th goal of the season as Vegas takes the 3-0 lead. San Jose gets on the board when Brent Burns scores his fifth goal of the season. San Jose gets within a goal when Matt Nieto nets his fourth goal of the season. In the third period, Alex Tuch gets his 10th goal of the season as Vegas takes the 4-2 lead. Logan Couture brings the Sharks to within a goal once again with his 12th goal of the season. Kevin Labanc goes on to tie the game for the Sharks with his fifth goal of the season. In Overtime, Pacioretty scores his second goal of the game as the Golden Knights down the Sharks 5-4.
- NYR v. NJ – 1p ET
- BUF v. NYI – 1p ET
- PHI v. PIT – 1p ET
- FLA v. NAS – 2p ET
- TOR v. VAN – 7p ET
- MIN v. ARI – 7p ET
- WIN v. MON – 7p ET
- ANA v. COL – 8p ET
- CLB v. DAL – 8p ET
- STL v. LA – 9p ET
- CAL v. EDM – 10p ET
- VGK v. SJ – 10:30p ET