NHL News and Notes from Thursday, March 4th, 2021
- Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin was fined $5000, max allowed under the CBA, for spearing forward Trent Frederic of the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night by the NHL Department of Player Safety.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety also suspended San Jose Sharks forward Joachim Blichfeld for an Illegal Check to the Head of Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon on Wednesday night.
- Blichfeld was suspended for two games and will forfeit $12,701.14.
- Buffalo Sabres v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- In Long Island the Buffalo Sabres would come to town to take on the New York Islanders, and in the first period Noah Dobson and Matt Martin would score for the Isles to take the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Taylor Hall would score his second of the season to get the Sabres on the board, but an Anthony Beauvillier tally would regain the two goal lead for the Isles. In the third period Rasmus Ristolainen would score for the Sabres, but Jordan Eberle’s ninth of the season and Martin’s second of the game would give the Islanders the 5-2 victory.
- New York Rangers v. New Jersey Devils – 7p ET
- In the Battle of the Hudson River, the New Jersey Devils would play host to the New York Rangers. In the first period Jack Hughes would strike to give the Devils the 1-0 lead, but then in the second period Chris Kreider would score a pair of goals to put the Rangers in the lead. Then in the third period Kreider would complete the natural hat trick 23 seconds into the period, and then Pavel Buchnevich, Brendan Smith, and Alexis Lafreniere would score to give the Rangers the 6-1 victory.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- The Carolina Hurricanes would play host to the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period both teams would trade goals as Filip Zadina would strike for the Wings and Andrei Svechnikov would tally for the Canes. Then in the second period both teams would trade tallies again as Zadina would net his second of the game for the Wings, and Martin Necas would strike for the Canes. Then in the third period Jordan Staal, Jesper Fast, and Nino Niederreiter would strike to give th Hurricanes the 5-2 victory.
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Pittsburgh Penguins – 7p ET
- In the Battle of Pennsylvania Part 2 for the week the Pittsburgh Penguins would play host to the Philadelphia Flyers and in the first period the Pens would get three goals within the first four minutes of the game as Kris Letang, Mark Friedman, and Jared McCann would score to take the 3-0 lead, but Sean Couturier would strike for the Flyers to bring them within two. Then in the second period Claude Giroux would strike to bring the Flyers within one, and then in the third period Scott Laughton and Giroux’s second of the game would complete the comeback and give the Flyers the 4-3 victory.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Montreal Canadiens – 7p ET
- In Montreal the Canadiens would play host to the Winnipeg Jets, and in the first period Paul Stastny and Mathieu Perreault would score to give the Jets the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Brendan Gallagher and Tyler Toffoli would score to tie the game at two. In the third period Stastny would net his second of the game for the Jets, but a late tally from Corey Perry would tie the game and send the game to overtime that would see Pierre-Luc Dubois net the game winner for the Jets to take the 4-3 victory.
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In the Windy City, the Bolts look to down the Hawks. After a scoreless first period, the Blackhawks get on the board when Ryan Carpenter gets his fourth goal of the season. At 14:04, Alex DeBrincat gets his 12th goal of the season to give the Hawks the 2-0 lead. In the third period, Anthony Cirelli gets the Bolts on the board at 1:04. Steven Stamkos ties the game 2-2 with his 11th goal of the season. Alex Killorn gives Tampa Bay the 3-2 win in overtime with :00.1 left on the clock with his fourth goal of the season.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap – Vasilevskiy Makes History, Bolts Win 6th Straight Victory in OT
- Florida Panthers v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville, the Florida Panthers look to continue their winning ways during the season. In the first period, the Panthers get two goals, a goal each from Carter Verhaeghe and Mason Marchment to get a 2-0 lead. In the second period, Jonathan Huberdeau gives the Panthers the 3-0 lead. Nashville gets on the board when Mattais Ekholm scores his fourth goal of the season. Aaron Ekblad gets his seventh goal of the season to give the Panthers a 4-1 lead. Filip Forsberg nets his 10th goal of the season to cut the Panthers lead by two. In the third period, Ekblad gets his second goal of the night to give Florida the three goal lead once again. Nashville makes it a 5-3 Florida lead when Colton Sissons gets his fourth goal of the season and Ryan Johansen brings the Preds within a goal with his first goal of the season but the Nashville comeback falls short as the Panthers down the Preds 5-4.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas, the Blue Jackets look to take down the Stars. After a scoreless first period, Boone Jenner gets Columbus the 1-0 lead with his eighth goal of the season. In the third period, Oliver Bjorkstrand gives the Blue Jackets the 2-0 lead with his seventh goal of the season. Columbus then takes the commanding 3-0 lead when Eric Robinson gets his fourth goal of the season. Dallas gets on the board when Miro Heiskanen gets his first goal of the season and the Stars come within a goal when Jason Robertson gets his third goal of the season. The Dallas comeback falls short as the Blue Jackets down the Stars with the 3-2 win.
- Ottawa Senators v. Calgary Flames – 9p ET
- In the Saddledome, the Flames look to get back on the winning track. In the first period, Calgary gets on the board with Brett Ritchie’s first goal of the season. Dillon Dube gives the Flames the 2-0 lead at 2:59 with his fourth goal of the season. Ottawa cuts the lead in half with Josh Norris’ fifth goal of the season at 5:25. Calgary then gets two goals, one from Sean Monahan and Josh Leivo, to make it a 4-1 Flames lead. In the second period, Dube gets his second goal of the night to make it a 5-1 Calgary lead. In the third period, Dube secures the hat trick to make it a five goal lead for Calgary and Artem Anisimov nets a PPG to bring the Senators to within four. Ryan Dzingel scores his third goal of the season but the Sens still trail by three. Calgary makes it a 7-3 game when Derek Ryan gets his first goal of the season to secure the win over the Senators.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, Toronto looks to expand their lead in the division while Vancouver looks to get back on the winning track. In the first period, Vancouver gets on the board when Jake Virtanen gets his second goal of the season. Toronto ties the contest when Pierre Engvall gets his second goal of the season. In the second period, Vancouver retakes the lead with Virtanen’s second goal of the game. In the third period, Bo Horvat seals the win for the Canucks with his 10th goal of the season and the Canucks take down the Maple Leafs with the 3-1 win.
- WAS v. BOS – 7p ET
- TB v. CHI – 8p ET
- STL v. LA – 9p ET
- ANA v. COL – 9p ET
- MIN v. ARI – 9p ET
- VGK v. SJ – 10:30p ET