NHL News and Notes from Wednesday, February 24th, 2021
- The Montreal Canadiens have fired head coach Claude Julien and associate coach Kirk Muller.
- Dominique Ducharme has been named interim head coach.
- Alex Burrows was also announced as joining the coaching staff.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety announced that Vancouver Canucks forward Antoine Roussel has been fined for roughing forward Jesse Puljujarvi of the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday night.
- Roussel was fined $5000. The maximum allowable under the CBA.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 5p ET
- In Tampa Bay the Lightning look to weather the storm brought by the Carolina Hurricanes. In th efirst period the Lightning would get goals from Ross Colton and Blake Coleman to give the Bolts the 2-0 lead. Then in the third period Barclay Goodrow would get the empty netter to give the Lightning the 3-0 victory.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap – Big Cat Shines. Bolts Blank Canes 3-0
- Dallas Stars v. Florida Panthers – 5p ET
- The Florida Panthers would play host to the Dallas Stars, and in the first period the Stars would strike first with a John Klingberg tally to take the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period, the Stars would strike again as Esa Lindell would tally early in the third, and Joel Kiviranta would strike late to give the Stars the 3-0 victory.
- New York Rangers v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- It would be the bitter rivalry taking place in Philadelphia as the Flyers play host to the New York Rangers. In the first period Erik Gustafsson would score his first as a Flyer to give Philly the 1-0 lead, but while on the powerplay Chris Kreider would strike to tie the game at one. However, the Flyers would not quit as Shayne Gostisbehere would strike on the powerplay to retake the one goal lead for the Flyers. In the second period Krieder would net his second of the game on the powerplay for the Rangers, but goals from James van Riemsdyk and Kevin Hayes would give the Flyers the two goal lead. Then in the third period Kreider would would complete the hat trick to bring the Rangers back within one, but the Flyers would hold on and take the 4-3 victory.
- Calgary Flames v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto it would take 56 minutes before a goal would be scored between the Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames as Andrew Mangiapane would strike first for the Flames to take the 1-0 lead. But it would be a late tally from William Nylander to tie the game at one, and then in overtime it would be Nylander again to give the Leafs the 2-1 victory.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Arizona Coyotes – 9p ET
- In Glendale, the Ducks visit the Coyotes and in the first period, Anaheim takes the 1-0 with 12 seconds remaining when Max Comtois nets his eighth goal of the season. In the second period, Josh Mahura gives the Ducks the 2-0 lead with his first goal of the season. Anaheim takes the 3-0 lead with a PPG by Max Jones, his third goal. In the third period, Arizona will score three goals, with Tyler Pitlick, Jakob Chychrun, and Phil Kessel all scoring, to tie the game 3-3. Arizona goes on to win this contest 4-3 after the third round of the shootout.
- Los Angeles Kings v. St. Louis Blues – 9:30p ET
- In St. Louis, the Kings take on the Blues. After a scoreless first period, the Kings take the 1-0 lead in the second period when Alex Iafallo gets his sixth goal of the season. Los Angeles take the 2-0 lead after Andres Athanasiou nets his fourth goal of the season. In the third period, Oskar Sundqvist brings the Blues with a goal at 18:14. The Kings go on to defeat the Blues with a 2-1 victory.
- Minnesota Wild v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- In Denver, the Avalanche play host to the Minnesota Wild. In the first period, Minnesota take the 1-0 lead with a Mats Zuccarello goal, his third of the season. In the second period, Colorado ties the game when J.T. Compher gets his second goal of the season. Minnesota retakes the lead with a Zach Parise goal, his third of the season. The Wild take a two goal lead with a PPG by Marcus Foligno, his fourth goal of the season. In the third period, Colorado comes within a goal when Nazem Kadri scores his fifth goal of the season, a PPG. Minnesota takes the 4-2 lead after Ryan Hartman nets his third goal of the season. Minnesota then gets a pair of goals from Nico Sturm, his first two goals of the season as the Wild go on to cruise past the Avalanche with a 6-2 win.
- BOS v. NYI – 7p ET
- PIT v. WAS – 7p ET
- CAR v. TB – 7p ET
- DAL v. FLA – 7p ET
- CHI v. CLB – 7p ET
- CAL v. OTT – 7p ET
- NJ v. BUF – 7p ET
- NAS v. DET – 7:30p ET
- MON v. WIN – 8p ET
- COL v. ARI – 9p ET
- EDM v. VAN – 10p ET
- VGK v. SJ – Postponed