NHL News and Notes from Monday, February 15th, 2021
- Cam Atkinson of the Columbus Blue Jackets was named the First Star of the Week by the NHL.
- Dr. Laurie Hammema of OhioHealth was also named First Star for her efforts on the Frontline during the Pandemic.
- Marc-Andre Fleury (VGK) and Bryan Rust (PIT) round out the rest of the Three Stars.
NHL Stars of the Week – Atkinson’s Shorthanded Efforts Earn Honors
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Carolina Hurricanes made a trade.
- The Maple Leafs acquire forward Alex Galchenyuk.
- The Hurricanes acquire forward Egor Korshkov and defenseman David Warsofsky.
- St. Louis Blues v. Arizona Coyotes – 4p ET
- In the seventh game of there First Round Regular Season series, the Arizona Coyotes and St. Louis Blues would do battle one last time. In this game it would be a second period tally from Clayton Keller and a perfect game from Darcy Kuemper (24 saves) to give the Coyotes the 1-0 victory and the 4-3 series win to advance the Second Round of the Regular Season.
- New Jersey Devils v. Boston Bruins – 7p ET
- New York Islanders v. Buffalo Sabres – 7p ET
- In their first game back in two weeks due to COVID Protocols, the Buffalo Sabres play host to the New York Islanders. In the first period Anders Lee and Jean-Gabriel Pageau would tally late to give the Isles the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Victor Olofsson would strike on the powerplay to bring the Sabres within one, but Brock Nelson’s powerplay goal would regain the two goal lead for the Islanders and give them the 3-1 victory over the Sabres.
- Ottawa Senators v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs play host to the Ottawa Senators, and in the first period Auston Matthews and Travis Boyd would score to give the Leafs the 2-0 lead, but a tally from Drake Batherson would bring the Sens back within one. In the second period the Leafs would get three straight goals from Pierre Engvall, Joe Thornton, and Matthews (second of the game) to take a commanding 5-1 lead, but while shorthanded Nick Paul would score to get the Sens back on the board. Then in the third period Artem Zub would net his first career NHL goal to bring the Sens back within two, and then goals from Connor Brown and Evgenii Dadonov would tie the game at five and send the game to overtime. Then in the extra frame it would be Dadonov with his second of the game to give the Senators the 6-5 comeback victory over the Maple Leafs.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Carolina Hurricanes – 7p ET
- In Carolina the Columbus Blue Jackets look to weather the storm as they take on the Hurricanes, and in the first period Cam Atkinson and Boone Jenner would score early to give the Jackets the 2-0 lead, but Sebastian Aho would tally for the Canes to bring them back within one. However, Kevin Stenlund’s third of the season would regain the two goal lead for the Jackets, but the Canes would strike back as Jordan Staal would score to bring them back within one to end the period. In the second period the Hurricanes would come alive as they would get goals from Brock McGinn, Teuvo Teravainen, and Nino Niederreiter to take the 5-3 lead. Then in the third period the Hurricanes would build upon their lead as McGinn would net his second of the game and Vincent Trocheck’s powerplay tally would give the Hurricanes the 7-3 victory.
- Florida Panthers v. Tampa Bay Lightning – 7p ET
- In the Battle of Florida, the Tampa Bay Lightning host the Florida Panthers. In the first period Steven Stamkos would open the scoring with his 8th of the season for the Bolts, but 92 seconds later Jonathan Huberdeau would strike to tie the game at one. Then in the second period we would see a seven goal period as Alexander Volkov would net a pair of goals and Tyler Johnson would net his fourth of the season for the Bolts, while Anthony Duclair would net a pair of goals along with tallies from Owen Tippett and Aleksander Barkov to give the Panthers the 5-4 lead. then in the third period Anton Stralman would net his first of the season to grow the Panthers lead to two and secure the 6-4 victory.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap – Bolts Overwhelmed By Panthers 6-4
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Detroit Red Wings – 7:30p ET
- In Detroit we would see two Original Six rivals do battle as the Red Wings host the Chicago Blackhawks. Mattias Janmark would net his sixth of the season to give the Blackhawks the 1-0 lead to start the first period, and near the end of the period Dominik Kubalik would grow the Blackhawks lead to two, but Vladislav Namestnikov’s fourth of the season would bring the Wings back within one. Then after a scoreless second period Christian Djoos would net his first as a Red Wing to tie the game at two and send the game to overtime. In the extra frame Kubalik would net his second of the game to give the Blackhawks the 3-2 victory.
- Nashville Predators v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- Postponed due to Weather.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Edmonton Oilers – 9p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would play host to the Winnipeg Jets. In the first period Mark Scheifele would strike on the powerplay to give the Jets the 1-0 lead, but Alex Chiasson would respond for the Oilers with his first of the season to tie the game at one. However, Kyle Connor’s 8th of the season would give the Jets the 2-1 lead going into the first intermission. In the second period, Mason Appleton scores 49 seconds in to give the Jets a two goal lead. Nikolaj Ehlers gives the Jets a three goal lead with his 10th goal of the season. Edmonton comes within two when Ryan Hugent-Hopkins nets a PPG, his sixth goal of the season. The Oilers come within a goal when Kailer Yamamoto gets his fifth goal of the season. The Jets get the two goal lead back with a goal by Mathieu Perreault, his third of the season. Alex Chiasson brings Edmonton within a goal once again with his second of the season. In the third period, Nugent-Hopkins ties the game for the Oilers with his second goal of the night. Blake Wheeler gives the Jets the lead back with his fifth goal of the season as the Jets win this contest 6-5 over the Edmonton Oilers.
- Calgary Flames v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In Vancouver, the Canucks host the Flames. In the first period, Vancouver takes the 1-0 lead with a Tanner Pearson goal, his fifth. Bo Horvat gives the Canucks the two goal lead with a PPG, his seventh goal of the season. Calgary gets on the board when Milan Lucic gets his fourth goal of the season with 25 seconds remaining in the period. In the second period, Elias Lindholm ties the game with his fifth goal. The Flames take the 3-2 lead with a goal by Dillon Dube, his third. In the third period, Brock Boeser scores with 31 seconds left in the period to tie the game 3-3. In the overtime frame, the Calgary Flames win the contest with a Johnny Gaudreau PPG just 23 seconds into the extra frame.
- Anaheim Ducks v. San Jose Sharks – 10:30p ET
- In San Jose, the Ducks visit the Sharks. In the first period, Anaheim takes the 1-0 lead when Sam Steel gets his first goal of the season 50 seconds into the game. San Jose ties the game when John Leonard nets his first goal of the season, a PPG. In the second period, Kevin Labanc nets his second goal to give San Jose the 2-1 lead. The Sharks extend their lead to 3-1 when Logan Couture scores his seventh goal of the season. In the third period, Max Comtois gets his seventh goal to bring Anaheim within a goal but the Anaheim comeback falls short as the Sharks down the Ducks 3-2.
- NYI v. BUF – 7p ET
- NJ v. NYR – 7p ET
- WAS v. PIT – 7p ET
- NAS v. DAL – 8:30p ET
- COL v. VGK – 10p ET
- MIN v. LA – 10p ET