NHL News and Notes from Saturday, February 13th, 2021
- The Carolina Hurricanes and Ottawa Senators made a trade.
- Carolina acquired forwards Cedric Paquette and Alex Galchenyuk.
- Ottawa acquired forward Ryan Dzingel.
- The NHL Department of Player Safety suspended forward Johan Larsson of the Arizona Coyotes for two games for doing an Illegal Check to the Head of forward Zach Sanford of the St. Louis Blues on Friday night.
- Larsson will forfeit $24,137.94 as a result of the suspension.
- Washington Capitals v. Buffalo Sabres – 1p ET
- Ottawa Senators v. Winnipeg Jets – 3p ET
- In Winnipeg the Jets would host the Ottawa Senators, and after a scoreless first period both teams would trade goals as Mark Scheifele would strike first for the Jets while Evgenii Dadonov would tally moments later to tie the game at one. Then in the closing seconds of the third period Brady Tkachuk would net the game winner to give the Senators their third win of the season as they defeat the Jets 2-1.
- Vegas Golden Knights v. San Jose Sharks – 4p ET
- For the first time in San Jose, the Sharks would play at home and they would host the Vegas Golden Knights in their official home opener. In the first period the Knights would strike first as Jonathan Marchessault would strike while on the powerplay to give them the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Mark Stone would then strike on the powerplay to grow the Vegas lead to two, but in the final two minutes Tomas Hertl would score to get the Sharks back within one. However, in the third period Chandler Stephenson would net the third Vegas powerplay goal to secure the 3-1 victory over the Sharks.
- Boston Bruins v. New York Islanders – 7p ET
- In Long Island the Boston Bruins and New York Islanders do battle once again. In the first period Brad Marchand would open the scoring for the Bruins, but goals from Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Jordan Eberle would give the Isles the 2-1 lead. In the second period Patrice Bergerion would tie the game at two for the B’s, but in the third period Mathew Barzal would score on the powerplay, and Pageau’s second of the game would give the Islanders the 4-2 victory.
- New Jersey Devils v. Philadelphia Flyers – 7p ET
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would take on the Tampa Bay Lightning, and after a scoreless first period the Bolts would light up the Panthers with a four goal period as Ondrej Palat and Mathieu Joseph would score and Tyler Johnson would net a pair of goals for the Tampa 4-0 lead. Then in the third period Frank Vatrano would score for the Panthers, but goals from Alex Volkov and Barclay Goodrow would secure the Lightning the 6-1 victory.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap – Bolts Rebound Rout Cats 6-1
- Montreal Canadiens v. Toronto Maple Leafs – 7p ET
- In Toronto the Maple Leafs would take on their Original Six rival Montreal Canadiens. In the first period Mitch Marner would score his 7th of the season to give the Leafs the 1-0 lead. Then after a scoreless second period Tyler Toffoli and Brendan Gallagher would strike to give the Canadiens the 2-1 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. Arizona Coyotes – 8p ET
- In Arizona the Coyotes would host the St. Louis Blues for the sixth game of their seven consecutive games against each other. In the first period Connor Garland would strike 21 seconds into the game for the Coyotes, but goals from Kyle Clifford and Zach Sanford would give the Blues the 2-1 lead. Then in the second period Brett Hayton would tie the game at two for the Coyotes, but a tally from Ivan Barbashev would score to retake the one goal lead. As the contest moves to the third period, Nick Schmaltz ties the game again for Arizona. Dryden Hunt gives the Coyotes the 4-3 lead but Jordan Kyrou ties the game for St. Louis again. St. Louis goes on to win the game 5-4 in overtime from a goal by Mike Hoffman 1:49 into the extra frame.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Chicago Blackhawks – 8p ET
- In Chicago the Columbus Blue Jackets are in town to take on the Blackhawks, and in the first period Patrik Laine would strike to give the Jackets the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period Nicolas Beaudin would score to tie the game at one, but a tally from Cam Atkinson would give the Jackets the one goal lead back. In the third period, Carl Soderberg ties the contest for the Blackhawks. In overtime, Alex DeBrincat scores the game winner to give Chicago the 3-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Detroit Red Wings v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would play host to the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first 40 minutes it would be all Wings. In the first period Robby Fabbri and Adam Erne would score to give Detroit the 2-0 lead, and then in the second period Luke Glendening would strike with his first of the season to give the Wings the 3-0 lead. Filip Forsberg gets the Predators on the board with his seventh goal of the season. Detroit re-takes the three goal lead with an Anthony Mantha goal, his fifth. Nashville’s Rocco Grimaldi scores a goal to come within to two but the Red Wings double up the Predators 4-2.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Dallas Stars – 8p ET
- In Dallas the Stars look to blackout the Carolina Hurricanes, and after a scoreless first period Jason Dickinson would score to give the Stars the 1-0 lead, but goals from Jordan Martinook and Teuvo Tervainen would give the Canes the 2-1 lead. In the third, Jordan Staal nets a PPG to give the Canes a two goal lead. At 8:22, Jason Robertson scores to bring the Stars within a goal. Joe Pavelski gets his ninth goal, a PPG, late in the frame to tie the game for Dallas. Carolina goes on to win the contest 4-3 after a lone Hurricanes goal in the shootout.
- Calgary Flames v. Vancouver Canucks – 10p ET
- In the third Canadian game of the day, the Flames visit the Canucks. Quinn Hughes get the Canucks the 1-0 in the second period with his second goal of the season. Calgary ties the game with a goal from Sam Bennett, his second goal of the season. As this contest moves to the third period, Elias Pettersson will net his sixth goal of the season to give the Canucks the 2-1 lead. Brandon Sutter scores to give the Canucks the 3-1 lead and Vancouver goes on to win by that score of 3-1 over the Calgary Flames.
- Minnesota Wild v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- WSH v. PIT – 3p ET
- PHI v. NYR – PPD
- COL v. VGK – 7p ET