NHL News and Notes from Tuesday, February 9th, 2021
- The Columbus Blue Jackets have announced that forward Mikko Koivu has retired.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins have announced that they have hired Ron Hextall as the new General Manager, and Brian Burke as President of Hockey Operations.
- Patrik Allvin will return to his original duties of Assistant General Manager.
- Pittsburgh Penguins v. New Jersey Devils – 6p ET
- Philadelphia Flyers v. Washington Capitals – 7p ET
- Detroit Red Wing v Florida Panthers – 7p ET
- In Florida the Panthers would do battle with the Detroit Red Wings, and in the first period Filip Zadina would net his first of the season to give the Wings the 1-0 lead, but a late tally from Alexander Wennberg would tie the game at one. Then in the second period Patric Hornqvist would net his sixth of the season while on the powerplay to give the Panthers the 2-1 victory.
- Edmonton Oilers v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- In Ottawa the Edmonton Oilers would come to town to take on the Ottawa Senators. In the first period Connor Brown would open the scoring for Ottawa 26 seconds into the game, but goals from Darnell Nurse and Evan Bouchard would give the Oilers the 2-1 lead. then in the second period Tyson Barrie would tally to grow the Oilers lead to two. In the third period Evgenii Dadonov would strike for the Sens to bring them back within one, but it would not be enough as the Oilers would hold on for the 3-2 victory.
- St. Louis Blues v. Minnesota Wild – 8p ET
- Tampa Bay Lightning v. Nashville Predators – 8:30p ET
- In Nashville the Tampa Bay Lighting look to strike down the Predators, and in the first period Rocco Grimaldi would strike first for the Preds, but goals from Steven Stamkos, Ondrej Palat, and Mathieu Joseph would give the Lightning the 3-1 lead. After no goals are scored in the second, Yanni Gourde, Stamkos, and Joseph all score in the third to give the Lightning the 6-1 win over the Predators.
Tim’s TXHT Game Recap – The Beat Goes on For Lightning
- Chicago Blackhawks v. Dallas Stars – 8:30p ET
- In Dallas the Stars would host the Chicago Blackhawks, and in the first period it would be Roope Hintz with his third of the season to give Dallas the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period while on the powerplay it would be Mattias Janmark with his fifth of the season to tie the game at one. Pius Suter scores in the overtime frame to give the Chicago Blackhawks the 2-1 win over the Dallas Stars.
- Arizona Coyotes v. Colorado Avalanche – 9p ET
- Anaheim Ducks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights play host to the Ducks. Vegas gets goals from Chandler Stephenson and Jonathan Marchessault to give Vegas the 2-0 lead. In the second, Alex Tuch makes it a 3-0 Vegas lead. The Ducks get on the board with a goal from Isac Lundstrom, his second on the season. Vegas takes the three goal lead back when Nicolas Roy gets his first of the season. In the third period, Anaheim ties the game with goals by Troy Terry, Adam Henrique, and Ryan Getzlaf. Vegas gets the 5-4 win with the game winner coming from Zach Whitecloud.
- San Jose Sharks v. Los Angeles Kings – 10p ET
- In Los Angeles, the Sharks visit the Kings. In the first period, San Jose gets goals from Timo Meier and Logan Couture to give the Sharks the 2-0 lead. In the second period, Los Angeles ties the game 2-2 when Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown score. As the game shifts to the third, Brown scores again to give the Kings the 3-2 lead. San Jose ties the game when Evander Kane nets his fourth goal. San Jose wins the game in the shootout with the game winner by Couture as the Sharks down the Kings 4-3.
- Winnipeg Jets v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In the Saddledome, no goals are scored in the first 20 minutes. In the second period, Nikolaj Ehlers gets the Jets the 1-0 lead. Calgary makes it a 2-1 lead with goals by Andrew Mangiapane and Byron Froese. Winnipeg ties the game with Ehlers second goal of the night. In the third period, Elias Lindholm gets his fourth goal of the season as the Flames down the Jets 3-2.
- BOS v. NYR – 7p ET
- TOR v. MON – 7:30p ET