NHL News and Notes from Saturday, January 16th, 2021
- The NHL Department of Player Safety has announced that Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jared McCann has been fined $10,000, maximum allowed per the CBA, for Elbowing defenseman Travis Sanheim of the Philadelphia Flyers on January 15th.
- Boston Bruins v. New Jersey Devils – 1p ET
- In New Jersey for an early Saturday matinee the Devils would play host to the Boston Bruins. In the first period Miles Wood would net his second of the season to give the Devils the 1-0 lead. Then in the second period newly named captain Patrice Bergeron would tally for the B’s while shorthanded to tie the game and send the game into overtime. In the extra frame with two seconds left Yegor Sharangovich would net his first career NHL goal to give the Devils the 2-1 victory.
- San Jose Sharks v. Arizona Coyotes – 4p ET
- In Arizona for a western matinee, the Coyotes and San Jose Sharks do battle. In the first period Ryan Donato would open the scoring while on the powerplay with his first as a Shark to take the 1-0 lead. However, Phil Kessel (PPG) and Brett Hayton would tally for the Coyotes to take the 2-1 lead, but Timo Meier would score to tie the game at two. Then in the final forty minutes of play the Coyotes would be all over the Sharks as Kessel would score his second of the game, plus goals from Jakob Chychrun and Clayton Keller would score to give Arizona the three goal lead. Tomas Hertl would score a late powerplay goal for San Jose, but it wouldn’t be enough as they would fall to the Coyotes 5-3.
- New York Islanders v. New York Rangers – 7p ET
- At Madison Square Garden the New York Rangers and Islanders faceoff for the second time in as many nights, but this time the Rangers have a better showing as Pavel Buchnevich and Artemi Panarin would score in the first period for the 2-0 lead. Then in the second period Buchnevich would net his second of the game, and Kaapo Kakko would score his first of the season to grow the Rangers lead to four. Then in the third period Panarin would net his second of the game to give the Rangers the 5-0 victory over the Islanders.
- Carolina Hurricanes v. Detroit Red Wings – 7p ET
- In Detroit the Red Wings would play host to the Carolina Hurricanes once again, and it would take 22 minutes and 44 seconds before we would see our first goal as Bobby Ryan would net his first as a Red Wing to give Detroit the 1-0 lead. Then in the third period Vincent Trocheck would tie the game at one 28 seconds into the period while on the powerplay, but Dylan Larkin would strike 18 seconds later to retake the lead for the Wings. However, later in the period Andrei Svechnikov would score his first of the season to tie the game once again, but Robby Fabbri would net his first of the season, and Larkin would net his second of the game to give the Red Wings the 4-2 victory.
- Toronto Maple Leafs v. Ottawa Senators – 7p ET
- Back at it in Ottawa the Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs go back to battle, and in the first period Nick Paul would net his first of the season to give Ottawa the 1-0 lead. However, minutes later Joe Thornton would net his first goal as a Toronto Maple Leaf to tie the game at one. Then in the second period Mitch Marner would score 70 seconds into the period to give the Leafs the 2-1 lead. In the third period Auston Matthews would strike on the powerplay for his first of the season to give the Leafs the two goal lead, but Tim Stützle would score his first career NHL goal to bring the Sens back within one. However, it would not be enough as the Leafs would hold on for the 3-2 victory.
- Montreal Canadiens v. Edmonton Oilers – 7p ET
- In Edmonton the Oilers would continue their homestand with some Hockey Night in Canada action against the Montreal Canadiens. In the first period Jeff Petry would score the lone goal of the period while on the powerplay to give the Habs the 1-0 lead. Then int he second period the Canadiens would erupt for three unanswered goals as Tomas Tatar, Petry (second of the game), and Jake Evans (SHG) would score to give Montreal the 4-0 lead. In the third period Tomas Tatar would score his second of the game to grow Montreal’s lead to five, but Slater Koekkoek would score his first as an Oiler to end Carey Price’s shutout bid in the Canadiens 5-1 victory.
- Columbus Blue Jackets v. Nashville Predators – 8p ET
- In Nashville the Predators would play host to the Columbus Blue Jackets, and in the first period both teams would get on the board as Nick Foligno would open the scoring for Columbus to take the 1-0 lead. However, Rocco Grimaldi’s first of the season would tie the game at one a piece. After a scoreless second period, Filip Forsberg gets the lead for Nashville with a goal at 1:43 in the third period. Columbus would tie the game at 2-2 when Alexandre Texier gets his first goal of the season at the 5:47 mark. Nashville would then have three unanswered goals by Brad Richardson at 11:00, Luke Kunin at 14:27, and Colton Sissons at 15:22 to make it a 5-2 Nashville lead and eventual victory.
- Minnesota Wild v. Los Angeles Kings – 9p ET
- In Los Angeles, the Wild faced off against the Kings and Matt Dumba would open up the scoring for the Wild 21 seconds in the contest. Gabriel Vilardi for the Kings would make it a tie game at the 16:58 mark in the period. As the contest goes into the second period, Blake Lizotte and Andreas Athanasiou both score to make it a 3-1 Kings lead. In the third period, Joel Eriksson Ek would score his first goal on the season at 7:38. Ryan Suter would tie the contest with two seconds remaining in regulation and Marcus Johansson would score the game winner with 11 seconds remaining in the overtime session with the final score of 4-3.
- Vancouver Canucks v. Calgary Flames – 10p ET
- In the first battle between these two Canadian teams on the season, each team looks to get the advantage. Calgary strikes first with a power play goal from Sean Monahan at 8:31 in the first period. In the second period, Dillon Dube would score his first goal of the season at the 16:12 mark, also a power play goal. In the third period, Matthew Tkachuk scored his second goal on the season, a power play goal, at 15:16 and the Flames shutout the Canucks 3-0.
- Anaheim Ducks v. Vegas Golden Knights – 10p ET
- In Vegas, the Golden Knights would don their new gold alternate jerseys. With no score in the first period, Max Comtois would score his third goal on the season at 7:45. In the third period William Karlsson scored his first goal of the season at 18:38 to make it a 1-1 game. Seven seconds into the overtime frame, Max Pacioretty nets the game winner for the Golden Knights as they down the Ducks 2-1.
- WAS v. PIT – 12p ET
- DAL v. TB – PPD
- CHI v. FLA – 7p ET