Here are today’s headlines for Tuesday, October 6th, 2020.
Waivers and Buyouts
- Jack Johnson has cleared waivers and has been bought out by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Forward Justin Abdelkader has been placed on waivers for the purpose of buyout by the Detroit Red Wings.
- The Montreal Canadiens have also placed defenseman Karl Alzner on waivers for the purpose of buyout.
NWHL Partners with K1 Sportswear
- The National Women’s Hockey League announced that they have entered a three year partnership with K1 Sportswear to become the league’s exclusive jersey supplier.
Simmonds Granted Permission
- The Buffalo Sabres has granted forward Wayne Simmonds permission to speak with other teams before free agency begins on Friday per Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada.
Jets/Flyers Extend Qualifiers
- The Winnipeg Jets have tendered qualifying offers to four forwards and two defensemen.
- Forwards given qualifiers are Mason Appleton, Jansen Harkins, Jack Roslovic, and CJ Suess.
- Defenders given qualifiers are Sami Niku and Nelson Nogier.
- The Philadelphia Flyers extended qualifying offers to defenseman Philippe Myers, and forwards Nolan Patrick and Mikhail Vorobyev.
Wild and Yotes Unveil Anniversary Logos
- The Minnesota Wild have unveiled the logo to commemorate their 20th Anniversary.
- The Arizona Coyotes unveiled their 25th Anniversary logos for the 2020-21 season.
- The Coyotes also unveiled that their home ice will feature the iconic crescent moon at center ice once again.
Brooks Passes Away
- Former Washington Capital and St. Louis Blue Gordie Brooks passed away on October 1st.
- Brooks played 70 NHL games in a 14 year professional career.
Habs and Jackets Make a Deal
- The Montreal Canadiens and Columbus Blue Jackets made a trade.
- The Canadiens acquired forward Josh Anderson.
- The Blue Jackets acquired forward Max Domi and the 78th overall (3rd Round) pick in the 2020 NHL Draft.
Sens Bring Back the 2D
- The Ottawa Senators unveiled their new uniforms for the 2020-21 as they went back to their inaugural look from 1992.
Caps Make Announcements
- The Washington Capitals made a pair of announcements regarding their defense.
- The Capitals first announcement was the re-signing of defender Brenden Dillon to a 4 year deal.
- The Capitals second announcement was about defender Michal Kempny missing 6-8 months due to surgery on an Achilles Tendon injury.
- To read more on the announcements, click here.
League Eyes Jan. 1st Start
- At the start of the NHL Draft, Commissioner Gary Bettman announced that the NHL and NHLPA are targeting January 1st, 2021 to start the 2020-21 season.